Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Scary problem 3 days after getting the car back... (pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 03:51 AM
_Remi
2nd Gear Member

Default Scary problem 3 days after getting the car back... (pictures)

Hey,

Just to recap, I got my 67 back from the shop its 289 rebuilt and a T5 instead of my C4. First impressions after driving it around (without reving to high though) : it's amazing, a totally different car and I love it.

But tonight, I was going to a party and decided to (proudly) give a ride to my friends (4 + me). When I parked it, I heard a noise but was not really able to locate it. Then my friends went out of the car and told me "hey look, you have a huge oil leak". It was leaking like crazy from under the engine and on the left side.

Here are all the details:

- The engine and transmission have less than a week
- The car was heavily loaded (5 adults - I am not proud of this)
- I was probably a little nervous when I parked and was not gentle with the steering wheel
- We found a broken screw under the car but cannot garanty that it comes from it
- I check the oil in the engine, a little low
- There was some sort of liquid under my two exhaust, did not seem to be oil but was really scary (could it just be water?)
- After all the fluid in the front was gone (I would say it was oil but very very clean), I had no power steering at all

So yes, I am assuming now that something broke in my power steering and that explains the leak (even though I am still scared to have found something under my two exhaust). But guys, I was so happy since I got it back and I will so bad now! It's not about the money at all, it's about putting a lot of emotion in your car and not having it for 7 weeks!

I am bringing it back to the shop on Monday, will drive only a little this week-end and always wanted to get rid of the power steering anyway.

But still, [&o]
Old 04-05-2008, 04:00 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Default RE: Scary problem 3 days after getting the car back...

ok my first question is do you have an aftermarket oil pressure gauge? ive burnt the plastic hose before

also check the oil filter, front seal rear etc if its bad you gonna be able to see where its coming from hopefully considering it was new and clean
Old 04-05-2008, 04:10 AM
_Remi
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rmodel65

ok my first question is do you have an aftermarket oil pressure gauge? ive burnt the plastic hose before

also check the oil filter, front seal rear etc if its bad you gonna be able to see where its coming from hopefully considering it was new and clean
I don't have an aftermarket oil pressure gauge and the oil filter is brand new and looks fine...

What about the drips out of my two exhaust? Could it just be water?

Is it bad to drive it a couple of miles without PS?

Thanks a lot!
Old 04-05-2008, 04:16 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

well its only really gonna be bad without it if you cant turn the wheel do the ps pump share the same belt as the water pump?

you might have the wrong fluid in ps system it should nbe type "f" atf fluid maybe the mechanic put in power steering fluid in it(would look clearish) maybe that all your leaking

you gonna use a little oil during the break in of the motor while the rings seat etc. but it is a good idea to keep an eye on it.

Old 04-05-2008, 04:19 AM
_Remi
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rmodel65

well its only really gonna be bad without it if you cant turn the wheel do the ps pump share the same belt as the water pump?

you might have the wrong fluid in ps system it should nbe type "f" atf fluid maybe the mechanic put in power steering fluid in it(would look clearish) maybe that all your leaking

you gonna use a little oil during the break in of the motor while the rings seat etc. but it is a good idea to keep an eye on it.

Thanks!

Any advice for the break-in?
Old 04-05-2008, 04:26 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

if it's just 'drips' coming out of your exhaust, then that can be normal (condensation)
I have that as well.
There's a bit of carbon in the condensated water then, so behind the 2 exhausts, you will sometimes find 2 black spots when you fire up the car when cold and the exhausts dribbing a bit
Old 04-05-2008, 06:43 AM
iamdiffrnt
2nd Gear Member

Check the pressure line from the power steering pump (comes out of the back in the center). I've had two of them pop from being baked by the exhaust manifold. If you don't see any damage by the manifolds, check the whole hose. Check the return line also, it could come off and drain your P/S system. After that, start looking at the hard parts and connections. Pump, valve, slave cylinder. With all that oil on the ground, your problem should be pretty obvious once you actually get your eyes to where it is.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:53 AM
JapanGT
2nd Gear Member

Don't run the power steering pump without fluid. Disconnect the belt so the pump is
not spinning, if you think there is a problem. Getting it to the shop without power assist
in the steering, will not damage the rack and pinion.

Do not disconnect the belt if the same belt, is used for the power steering, water pump or alternator.
In that case,I would all a pick up truck.

Jav
Old 04-05-2008, 07:33 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Don't freak about the condensation coming out of the exhaust. Not a problem.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:16 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

altogether you seem to have 2 issues.
follow what JapanGT says so you can still drive it (if only PS is hooked up to belt, nothing else). and the other issue seems to be your dripping exhaust.

Quick Reply: Scary problem 3 days after getting the car back... (pictures)