Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Crate motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 12:11 PM
Tang 72
2nd Gear Member

Default Crate motor

Hey well the estimate on my 302 build is $3500 and three months... the company is known for good work here in central florida but i also stumbled upon this deal on the summit racing site but i havent heard anything about the company... it looks like a really good deal and im probably going to go that route bacause my cars a daily driver and i need a new motor asap... mine is old and tired and knoking and... well its not pretty... anyone know if the company is any good? They also have a 30 month 50,000 mile warenty.. i would like to build one on my own but im in college and working full time and i never have any spare time anymore (and what i have im spending on body work)

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku
Old 04-09-2008, 12:33 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Crate motor

Might check out some of the offerings from T&L as well. They are good folks.

A member of the forum (mustanglover66) works there, and the company was very recently featured in Popular Hot Rodding concerning a brand X 408 stroker...

My brother -in-law bought one of these brand X engines,,, it is a hoss....
Old 04-09-2008, 12:41 PM
03Maverik
2nd Gear Member

I looked into T&L also, they were real helpful and quick to respond. They are local for me and seem to be a reliable shop. I decided to rebuild my motor, but would have gone with T&L if not.

Check them out http://www.tandlengines.com/
Old 04-09-2008, 01:12 PM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

We've run blueprints stuff. One guy drive it everyday to work. No problems yet unlike some other crates.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:42 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

I have had great luck with Jasper Engines on crate motor, tranny, and axlestuff. They are usually very reasonable if you are not needing performance stuff which a d.d. probably does not. The motors are really drop ins. Many many shops support Jasper so there is bound to be one close by that can help you. I just took a quick look and they have a 302 crate for $1895. I am not sure what that includes and does not include so check on that, but you may can save a few pennies and they have a three year warranty.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:28 PM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: urban_cowboy

I have had great luck with Jasper Engines on crate motor, tranny, and axle stuff. They are usually very reasonable if you are not needing performance stuff which a d.d. probably does not. The motors are really drop ins. Many many shops support Jasper so there is bound to be one close by that can help you. I just took a quick look and they have a 302 crate for $1895. I am not sure what that includes and does not include so check on that, but you may can save a few pennies and they have a three year warranty.
where did you see that? It looks like you cant buy anything on their website.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:59 PM
Tang 72
2nd Gear Member

Wow thanks for the help guys and those T&L motors look like good stuff.. im not sure what im going to go with yet but thanks for all the help
Old 04-09-2008, 11:19 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tang 72

Hey well the estimate on my 302 build is $3500 and three months... the company is known for good work here in central florida but i also stumbled upon this deal on the summit racing site but i havent heard anything about the company... it looks like a really good deal and im probably going to go that route bacause my cars a daily driver and i need a new motor asap... mine is old and tired and knoking and... well its not pretty... anyone know if the company is any good? They also have a 30 month 50,000 mile warenty.. i would like to build one on my own but im in college and working full time and i never have any spare time anymore (and what i have im spending on body work)

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku
The fact that you need it ASAP pretty much leaves T&L off the list. Last I've read from those who ordered, the wait was more or less three months for the engine. For that matter, the link you posted at Summit stated that it won't ship until 4/27. If you want that motor quick, you'd have to get the fully dressed motor or a Ford Racing Crate motor.

FWIW, I had my Ford Racing motor delivered within two days of order from Summit Racing.

Good luck!