Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

First week-end with the T5 + engine rebuilt

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 02:11 PM
_Remi
2nd Gear Member

Default First week-end with the T5 + engine rebuilt

Hey,

It was a perfect week-end to drive my new setup, rebuilt 289 (600cfm 4bbl - stock), manual steering and T5. I went down the highway one in California, from San Francisco to Big Sur (that's to me the perfect road).

Here are my feelings:

- The steering is perfect, that was my first long distance trip, no problem at all except of course when you need to park. My girlfriend does not have the same arms but also enjoyed it a lot.

- The transmission is great even though I am really surprised. I still have my stock rear ratio and it seems to be really high already (I was about to switch to 3.55 but do not know if it is needed). I was always shifting between 3-4-5 and the first two gears seems to be really really short... Is that the normal feeling that I should get? Weird thing is also the fact that my 3rd and 4th gear are perfect (lots of power) but the 5th is disappointing...

- Now, the engine! It's great but my break-in period is not over yet (half of it is done) so I cannot push it to the limit. The feeling is nice and I have some strong power in 3rd and 4th gear. I will be putting some nice headers in a couple of weeks and will probably add some alumium heads in the future : driving it is so awesome

I am getting closer and closer to my perfect set-up!

... and my girlfriend loves it as well

Old 04-22-2008, 02:58 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Default RE: First week-end with the T5 + engine rebuilt

Cool! Congratulations.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:26 PM
ponyX65
1st Gear Member

nice! im thinking of also using a t5 in my 65, i have one question on the highway what was youre rpm's in fith gear and at what speed and whats size isyoure stock rear end gears?
Thanks!
Old 04-22-2008, 05:17 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

The stock T5 5th gear is a .68 overdrive, so there's going to be a big rpm drop when you shift into 5th. It's designed as an economy gear, not a passing gear
Old 04-22-2008, 06:10 PM
Yonco
3rd Gear Member

Do you Have a tach? In my 71 that i swapped out i never had a tach and then when i eventually got one i found out i was only running it up to 5k rpm's and wasnt even going ***** tgo the walls. I could have always given it more but i never wanted to test the thing. BTW, there are 2 different types of "t-5's". The difference is the first gear ratios, they had a one was about 3 to 1 and the other was closer to 4 to 1 so. Heres a link on the differences.

http://www.moderndriveline.com/Techn...t5_history.htm
My Car had 3.73's Launched like a bat out of hell and still did fine on the highway @ 65. Those pictures look great and makes me miss my ol 71' I had that same wheel too, good choice! Everything looks really clean. -Jon
Old 04-22-2008, 11:39 PM
flyingfool
3rd Gear Member

very cool! my T5 project has been on the floor for so long its kinda embarassing...damn school! anyway, yeah 5th would be an overdrive gear, so not a very punchy gear. i think of the T5 like a 4 speed w/ and extra gear for freeway cruise or long distance. thats interesting thatyou mention the short 1 - 2 gears...i went with a 2.95 gear set up (slightly taller gears) so ill have to compare.

and ive toatally been right where that picture was taken! its very nice out there. the coasts roads up north around tomales are also quite nice
Old 04-23-2008, 06:40 AM
sixtysix
2nd Gear Member

Man that is great ! My wife (girlfriend at the time)and I cruzed from san fran to big sur 20 years ago in a rent a car....we have always wanted to go back...and I want to bring the 66 convertible this time. Best of luck with the car. What a great photo..brought back happy memeories !Scott
Old 04-23-2008, 01:27 PM
_Remi
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for your comments!

ORIGINAL: Starfury
The stock T5 5th gear is a .68 overdrive, so there's going to be a big rpm drop when you shift into 5th. It's designed as an economy gear, not a passing gear
Ok It explains everything then!

ORIGINAL: ponyX65
i have one question on the highway what was youre rpm's in fith gear and at what speed and whats size isyoure stock rear end gears?
No idea yet, my speedometer is off and I don't have a tach! But overall my gas mileage is way better and I am driving way faster!

Old 04-23-2008, 02:43 PM
66JameStang
4th Gear Member

+1 on the 5th gear as an overdrive.... I put a T5 in my car and it was an amazing change.... Definitely enjoy it, it looks like a really nice drive.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:54 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Some of the T5's had like a 3.27 or a 3.30something first gear, and a relatively short 2nd gear as well. The new S197 5 speeds(TR-3650 I think?) are like a 3.38 1st and 2.00 2nd. But yeah, that overdrive is pretty tall.

Quick Reply: First week-end with the T5 + engine rebuilt