Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Need some recommendations...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 03:33 PM
MasterLow
1st Gear Member

Default Need some recommendations...

Locally there's a 1969 Mustang Grande for sale, for $1000. Since I'm still at college and have a limited budget, and this thing still runs, this looks like an ideal project for me. What do you guys think? I'm going to look at it today with my friend, we're bringing a camera and flashlight to look for rust, etc. Has a 302 still running, good body, he says minor rust. Here's a pic of it.
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...t/DSCN3043.jpg
Old 05-12-2008, 03:41 PM
jonward786
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Need some recommendations...

I was in your boat a few weeks ago. I found a guy selling a 68 coupe for pretty cheap. He let me take it to my mechanic of 20 years and he assured me the car was in very good condition and that it was a great deal for what he was asking.

Moral of the story: unless you are a mechanic yourself and can recognize the severity of rust when looking at it, take it to a mechanic and have him run some tests. Because bottom line is, sometimes a car may be running and idling fine, but it has SERIOUS issues. Let a professional look at it first, 1000 isnt pocket change for a college kid
Old 05-12-2008, 03:42 PM
66JameStang
4th Gear Member

+1 on taking a mechanic!
The surface rust on the bumper is not encouraging, but that said it could be in good condition. Make sure to check the frequent rust areas, door bottoms, floor pans, check your panals. Make sure you do a complete check of the car. It looks like it could definitely be a fun project!

I would also make sure everything is as he describes it, if it is not who knows what else he could be wrong about, if nothing else that is an awesome price! even worth the purchase for down the line.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:26 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

lol.. "he says minor rust" = famous last words

Agreed on the mechanic bit. Just looking at the photo I can pretty much tell you it's got more than a little rust. Could be wrong but I spent the better part of last year looking at cars like this. As 66JameStang said.. the bumper is not encouraging. Might be wrong but definitely have it looked at by a professional to make sure. For 1000.00 its still a great buy even if 1/2 the body needs to be replaced as long as your willing to do the welding.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:47 AM
AV8ForFun
2nd Gear Member

I would definitely bet the floorpans are gone or well on their way....notice that neither window closes.

Still, for 1000 it ischeap enough that even if you have to replace a lot of metal it's probably still worth it. Can't tell from one picture, but if you are counting on this for a daily driver, it's probably not ready for that even if it does start and move under it's own power.

I just paid 2000 for a "driving" '69 351W coupe, and it needs 2 fenders, metalwork on both doors, both quarter panels, both outer wheel wells, both full length floorplans, and at least one torque box (wow, the more I type the more I get depress).....Anyway it WAS being used as a daily driver, and still needs all this work.....look at it closely.

my .02

[sm=signs003.gif]

Old 05-13-2008, 12:35 PM
baxsom
2nd Gear Member

i have a special place in my heart for the grandes

my first car was a 69 grande with a 390

i loved that car and god it was fast

too bad the designated driver decided to take it for a spin one night and destroyed it
Old 05-13-2008, 12:54 PM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

What you doin' in my yard? That's almost identical to mine. I don't know what every one is talking about. That car is well worth 1k. Especially if the interior is decent. If you are on a limited budget though, beware of the 69-70's...Parts cost a LOT more than the other years. I would pay a grand for that just from what I see in the pic....It looks complete, just has the window came unglued, the rest is cosmetic.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:38 PM
Nabster
3rd Gear Member

Be ready, I can see the door window on the passenger side has come unglued, and those glue-in windows on '69's are a royal pain.

You ask me though, $1000 for that is a deal, especially because as Stepman said, parts on the 69-70 models are expensive, if it does turn out to be a junker, it will be worth many times that in parts if they're in decent shape.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:45 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

I paid 1,200 for mine and I knew that I needed motor work.. And it had no interior excecpt seats..
Old 05-13-2008, 03:01 PM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

take that thing, slap some fastback quarter panels on it to modify to have the scoops, throw some paint on it and youd have a pretty bitchin ride.

Quick Reply: Need some recommendations...