Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Hydroboost

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 10:13 AM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Hydroboost

I've driven a few classics that have had the hydroboost conversion and I've always thought "WOW! Now those are brakes!". I've only read up a bit on the subject but I know it provides much stronger braking power.

Lots of links here so I know I'll be doing more reading up on this.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:22 AM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

The hydroboost unit will be going in to my Galaxie in the next couple of months. I think I see yet another DazeCars web page comming As usual I am sure I will be all together overly detaild with all the info one needs for the swap. As far as it being better than a vacuum booster, the proof for me is any modern truck designed to tow has hydroboost where stopping power is a must
Old 05-20-2008, 11:03 AM
mustang289
2nd Gear Member

Wow, thank you Daze.

I agree that a 70's Granada or an 80's Cadillac would be an easier installation. However, I feel that the newer I go, the better. Technology has come quite aways in the past 20 to 30 years and i'm sure it had an impact on the hydroboost technology. I have a mustang salvage yard (Prestigue) that is going to let me have a booster/mc and all the lines associated with it, AND they are going to give me a 2 year is warrantee.

This is just what I am thinking. I will be going to pick it up tomorrow. However if you really feel like this won't work let me know. But I feel that the extra work I put into it will be worth it since I will have the added benefit of technology on my side.

Might lead to putting an ABS system on the Pony ;-)

If you don't write an article on it I might just have to post one...Stickies here I come... :-)
Old 05-20-2008, 01:26 PM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

here is a couple more pictures you might find of interest

here is where the pictures came from
http://members.boardhost.com/Mustang...197952276.html
Old 05-20-2008, 06:31 PM
68droptop

i am thinking of doing the same on my car. keep us up to date with the progress
Old 05-20-2008, 07:57 PM
mustang289
2nd Gear Member

I'll let you know, I am going to pick it up tomorrow so I will be sure to let everyone know.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:54 PM
7tMach

I have recently installed one in my 72 ragtop. Ugly it is not. Functional, it is. What is disappointing to me about the system, we do the area car shows scene. You have literally got to point out the fact it has hydroboost. Now understand, I am in the welding supply business and have been for near 30 years. So adjusting fit for me is like changing an air filter to others. No big deal. I used a hydroboost from a 79 Ford diesel truck. Had to make some cuts to the firewall mount of the booster. That was just to make it fit like a glove and look good. Used the same style master cylinder. That is probably where the "I didn't even notice that" comes from. Another adjustment I had to make was the rod to pedal. It was longer and not in the right position for the pedal. Cut it down, adjusted the length, and rewelded it back up. I did have to use a die grinder to make the booster fit the firewall by grindign out the holes a little wider. About 1/8 inch maybe. I also had to do the master cylinder the same way. A little paint, a little fabricating of the line and routing. I now have brakes. It does take a little away from the Cleveland, but not enough to worry about for me. This may sound long winded, and too much trouble, but I would do it again. The results was what I was after. If I was better at this, like I feel I am welding and cutting I would post a picture of the finished product. My engine bayputs others who have posted theirs, I should stop there.