Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Headers

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 01:51 PM
xian67
2nd Gear Member

Default Headers

What header style is the best?
shorty, full length, tri-y etc etc
Old 06-12-2008, 03:00 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Headers

They need to create a couple dedicatedthreads focused on sujects such as headers,tranny swaps, etc.

Headers, the biggest factor determining headers is your personal budget. Second is application and purpose. Headers can becheap or$600+, and I won't guess what customsrun. Application, long tube helps torque and hp on top end and are very good with high end motors that will see 6K rpm, tri-y's are good for low end torque, and better for stock performance motors. I haven't done a comparison with shorties, but I believe this would be better then the stock manifold where tight spaceis an issue. In my opinion, the three items that determine a good header, flange thickness, tube thickness, and coating. Remember, heat makes metal expand and contract, and the thicker the material, the less deformation you'll see. That's why good headers (thicker) rarely blow gaskets.

Which is best? it all depends on your application. For example, I have tri-y's on my 289, but if I was running a strong 347, i would seriously consider using long tube to help broaden the torgue band and get more hp on the top end. Maybe some of the mechanical experts can chime in here with the technical stuff.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:04 PM
cmanf
3rd Gear Member

Im no expert here.
It seems that everything I read points to long tube headers being the best for torque.
I have a mean lil 347 but run shorty's due to my front suspension time will tell but I may modify a pair of long tubes later on.
My old 289 ran great with the tri Y's.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:04 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Long tubes flow better at higher rpm's, but they actually tend to hurt low-end torque because they reduce backpressureat lower rpm's (which relates to scavenging exhaust pulses; please don't try to claim any and all backpressure is bad). Tri-y's tend to make better low end and mid-range power, but won't flow as well at higher rpm's as long-tube headers. Shorties are much better than stock manifolds and are a great idea for space saving applications, but power tends to die off at higher rpm's where they don't flow well at all.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:29 AM
bradleyb
3rd Gear Member

guys who want performance go Dougs
Old 06-15-2008, 02:19 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

ORIGINAL: Starfury

Long tubes flow better at higher rpm's, but they actually tend to hurt low-end torque because they reduce backpressureat lower rpm's (which relates to scavenging exhaust pulses; please don't try to claim any and all backpressure is bad). Tri-y's tend to make better low end and mid-range power, but won't flow as well at higher rpm's as long-tube headers. Shorties are much better than stock manifolds and are a great idea for space saving applications, but power tends to die off at higher rpm's where they don't flow well at all.

+1
Old 06-15-2008, 02:12 PM
flyingfool
3rd Gear Member

ive always heard that long tubes give more LOW end??
Old 06-15-2008, 07:42 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Untrue, unless they're too small for the motor. Then they'll work great at the bottom of the rpm range and die off as the exhaust flow gets choked up.

Generally speaking, full length headers are designed to function at higher rpm's where performance motors are usually built to make power. At lower rpm's there isn't enough backpressure to get the exhaust pulses timed to pull exhaust gases out of the heads. As rpm's build, so does exhaust flow and backpressure. At a certain point you reach optimal backpressure where the exhaust pulses are timed perfectly, giving optimum performance. Shorties are designed more for low end (ie. normal street driving) power increases, which is part of why they're OE for fox bodies. Tri-Y's are optimized for low and mid-range power increases, but still don't flow quite as well above 4k as full-length headers do.

Of course, all of this changes as you change displacement. A set of Tri-Y's are great on a stock or mild 289/302, but probably won't flow enough to keep up with even a mild 347.

Basically, if you spend most of your time below 4k (as most people do), tri-y's and shorties are great. If you have a warmer engine and tend to take the engine past 4k a lot (ie. street/strip car), or if you have a stroker smallblock, long-tubes are the way to go.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:47 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Starfury

Of course, all of this changes as you change displacement. A set of Tri-Y's are great on a stock or mild 289/302, but probably won't flow enough to keep up with even a mild 347.

Basically, if you spend most of your time below 4k (as most people do), tri-y's and shorties are great. If you have a warmer engine and tend to take the engine past 4k a lot (ie. street/strip car), or if you have a stroker smallblock, long-tubes are the way to go.
I agree with everything you've said so far except that part. I have tri-ys on a GM race engine thats 355 cubes and around 520hp at the flywheel. I also have them on my 408 which (if ever finally sorted) should be closer to 600. Both cars need to operate across a broader rev range (3000 - 7000) unlike a drag car where you are up the top of the range all the time.

The trick for non-stock engines is to make the tri-ys bigger at the primaries. For example, the exhaust port on a stock or mild windsor head is about 1 5/8" diagonally across. Most tri-ys and longtubes are sized accordingly.AFR 225s are 1 7/8" and almost square so you need a bigger primary pipe regardless of header style.

There's one other advantage of tri-ys and thats ground clearance. You dont have that 4 into 1 collector hanging down low under the car. thats my $0.02
Old 06-15-2008, 10:18 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Well, I tried to keep it simple There's a huge difference between a set of cheap import tri-y's (which are great for a stock or mild 289/302) and a set of large-primary Doug Thorley tri-y's designed for a performance motor. Tri-y'sare a great design when applied to the engine type they're designed for and will produce power over a broader rpm range, but at high rpm's (like you said, drag racing applications)it's hard to beat long-tubes.

Quick Reply: Headers