Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Need Visual Aids for Parking Brake Hookup

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 08:51 PM
Toddman0025
2nd Gear Member

Default Need Visual Aids for Parking Brake Hookup

Can anyone help me out with some visual references to how the parking brake hooks up to the rear drums in a 1969?

I've got this diagram but can't wrap my head around it. Hoping someone can help with actual photos...

Thanks!

Old 06-17-2008, 05:31 PM
Toddman0025
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Need Visual Aids for Parking Brake Hookup

bump
Old 06-18-2008, 05:56 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

the left drumsetup in the picture is as indicated the rear one. It is the rear left one (passenger side).
i don't have pictures of this but i'll try to explain
the parking cable is coming from front middle of the car. so when you look at the picture from the right side
it is behind this setup and enters the whole housing at the exact point where it says "parking brake cable housing retainer)
there is a plasic spider that avoids the possibility of the shielding of the cable pulled out of the housing to the right when you apply the parking brake. so only the actuall cable can move.
the cable has a srping around it and you see it indicated where it says: "parking brake cable and housing". so the blank cable with its spring around goes toward the left and hooks up to the "Brake Paring Lever", which is directly under the left shoe.
the lever is attached at the top.
So basically when you apply the parking brake it will cause the lower end of the "parking brkae lever" to move to the right.
That will push the "parking brake link" top the right. This way both shoes will pushed outside and therefore brake.
once you release the parking brake the springs will ull it back (as well the spring around the cable)

hope that makes sense

If not I'll be at my car in a weeks time. I'm going to throw the old drums on the crappile.
I'll remove everything from it bar the cable and the lever and make a picture if needed

Kalli

Old 06-20-2008, 07:50 PM
Toddman0025
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kalli

the left drumsetup in the picture is as indicated the rear one. It is the rear left one (passenger side).
i don't have pictures of this but i'll try to explain
the parking cable is coming from front middle of the car. so when you look at the picture from the right side
it is behind this setup and enters the whole housing at the exact point where it says "parking brake cable housing retainer)
there is a plasic spider that avoids the possibility of the shielding of the cable pulled out of the housing to the right when you apply the parking brake. so only the actuall cable can move.
the cable has a srping around it and you see it indicated where it says: "parking brake cable and housing". so the blank cable with its spring around goes toward the left and hooks up to the "Brake Paring Lever", which is directly under the left shoe.
the lever is attached at the top.
So basically when you apply the parking brake it will cause the lower end of the "parking brkae lever" to move to the right.
That will push the "parking brake link" top the right. This way both shoes will pushed outside and therefore brake.
once you release the parking brake the springs will ull it back (as well the spring around the cable)

hope that makes sense

If not I'll be at my car in a weeks time. I'm going to throw the old drums on the crappile.
I'll remove everything from it bar the cable and the lever and make a picture if needed

Kalli

I can't thank you enough for the reply!

I think I must be missing some parts in the rear drums...I have all the cables and they're attached to the lever mechanism in the cabin, but not connected to the drums...Not sure what PO was doing!

From what I can tell, I seem to be missing the "plasic spider" and "parking brake lever"...Gonna pull out the 'ol NPD catalog and see what I can find.

If you're up for it I'd love to see your photos when you do your project!

Old 06-20-2008, 08:15 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

i'll def take some pics next time at car.
i spotted a mistake:
i wrote: "It is the rear left one (passenger side)" it's passenger side alright which makes it the right one (not left).
basically the cable is there to pull the lever. i should be over next week and i'll see if i can re-assemble the whole lot and take a pic.