Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

electric or manuel CARBURATOR

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 01:38 PM
juansp67
1st Gear Member

Default electric or manuel CARBURATOR

Whats the difference between the two, i know one is electric and the other works manually but i need more information?/?
Old 06-21-2008, 03:23 PM
109jb
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: electric or manuel CARBURATOR

I guess I don't understand the question. I assume you know that electric/manual refers to how the choke works because you said it in your post. That's the difference, nothing more.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:51 PM
juansp67
1st Gear Member

Do they both perform the same?
Old 06-21-2008, 04:59 PM
ThanksDad
3rd Gear Member

I was told to stick with the manual by a mechanic I have a lot of faith in.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:51 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Hiya,

most importantly the choke is only needed when cold.
so it doesn't matter how they perform differently.
Once the engine is warm they should both be fully open and it doesn't make NO difference whatsoever anymore.

The advantage of a manual choke is that you can control yourself how much choke you want to give when engine is cold.
But that's for som ethe downside , they want plug-n-forget, which is the advantage of a electric one. you don't need that extra cable going to your dash to pull the choke and you don't have to bother about it it's automatically set.
This is the disadvantage: when you start your engine the choke will always be set with an electric one, no matter if engine is cold or warm, so for a short period you will notice this when driving.

hope that makes sense to you. It's more a matter of preference than performance
Old 06-21-2008, 09:12 PM
ThanksDad
3rd Gear Member

When I say manual I mean the warm water theromostat unit on the carb, not a pull cable kind.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:27 PM
109jb
3rd Gear Member

The thermostatic choke assy works just like the electric except that one uses electric current to heat the coil, and the other uses the heat from the cooling system running in a hose. Both open the choke gradually from cold. The difference is that the electric will go to full close within a couple minutes of shutting the car off then you are at full choke again. The hot water variety will remain open because the water in the hose is still hot. Neither of these is a manual choke. A manual choke is operated manually by the man behind the wheel.

In response to the question about buying an aftermarket carb, most aftermarket come with either electric or manual. Basically you have those 2 choices, no more. Both will perform the same. No difference. The only difference is how you start the engine.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:43 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

I've found with my electric that when it's been shut off for a while it doesn't always come back on. It depends on how hot out it is and how the choke is set. When it does come back in it won't stay on for very long. Not a bad thing though, since you really shouldn't be putting a load on the engine till it's warmed up at LEAST enough for the choke to kick off.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:29 AM
juansp67
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys that makes more sense, helped me better understand the benefits of the two.
I Decided to go with an Electronic Carburator im gonna get the Edelbrock 650 cfm AVS Carburetors (thunder series)
wish me luck
Old 06-22-2008, 04:13 AM
photocliff
2nd Gear Member

Not meaning to hijack this thread but does anyone know the best place to get current from to run the electric choke?

I heard once that there is a half voltage output on the back of the alternator. Half meaning 6 volts instead of 12

Quick Reply: electric or manuel CARBURATOR