Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Specific questions. '69 FB quarters. Photos needed.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 12:05 PM
fantastic
1st Gear Member

Default Specific questions. '69 FB quarters. Photos needed.

I'm a bit stalled on my '69 Fastback project. In fact, I'm getting rather discouraged by my lack of progress lately.

The biggest problem is that I'm really building this car from scratch. My "good condition project" turned out to be totally rotted out. I've gotten myself into the position of building what may actually be the first Dynacorn '69 Fastback!

I have new taillight panel, new rear valence panel,new one piece trunk, new inner and outer wheel wells,new rear frame rails, new left rocker panel, new one piece floors, new firewall, new front frame rails, new torque boxes, and of course... new quarter panel skins.

It would have been easier and cheaper to buy all these parts and build the car from scratch! Well, essentialy that is what I have done, but I'm sort of stuck.

The quarter panel skins are not cooperating with what Ithink should be a fairly simple assembly. I think there is supposed to be a bracket where the quarter panel bolts up to the rocker panel. I think the bottom section of the skin is all wrong. In peticular in this area, the rear valence panel has a slotted bracket that is supposed to fit up inside the quarter panel. The skin does not have any such piece and thus the valence does not fit.

I'm discouraged and would really like to sell this thing and just buy one that doesn't need this much work. I know I'll get totally hosedif I try to sell a car in pieces like this, so I'll have to press on.

If anyone has some detailed photos of a quarterpanel installation, particularly these trouble areas,please help me out.

IF any body want to sell their '69 fastback and take the project in part trade... feel free to drop me a line.

Greg

ps. I have no idea why the apostrophees are doubling and trippling. I've tried to edit this post a few times and each time it puts in MORE apostrophees... ' ' ' !
Old 07-06-2008, 01:27 PM
greenbay stang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Specific questions. '69 FB quarters. Photos needed.

I can't say as far as cost, it depends how much you can do your self and if you enjoy it. I restore 3-5 cars a year for customers and myself as a side business, but have only done a couple of Fords and this year my first 2 mustangs. A 65 fastback witha 289 4speed for a customer and My car is a 69 Fastback that was so far gone that the owner was going to junk it. So I bought it to restomod and as a show piece of sorts for potential customers (they seem to like it when I pull up in my 70 Challenger R/T) to look at there cars they get a calm about them being able to look at my work right there. The reson I say all this is to give you the idea I have done a lot of cars in my day but with that said not a lot of mustangs so take these pics with a grain of salt knowing its a restomod and not at all going for concourse correct. The valance hole must be drilled where my finger is in the pic thru the quarter panel.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:32 PM
greenbay stang
1st Gear Member

Here are a couple more. I have done almost all the same thing as you floors, frames, ect. About the only original parts are roof, hood, parts of firewall, parts of rockers, and a couple of misc items. Hang in there you will be alinging panels in no time! If you need other pics let me know. One I have a pic of the side light that needs to be cut in. By the way thats not rust on the seems its a rust preventing spray that I use until I do the final grinding and mud work.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:30 PM
fantastic
1st Gear Member

Well a night of progress, even slightly artificial progress, can make a world of difference. Tonight I got into the shop and desided to just do something to give myself a boost. So, I put together the car again. I mean I put the trunk and rear frame rails in place with the floor and seat perches, the quarter skins, and the wheel wells so that the car looks like a car again.
Maybe it is a waste of time, since so much has to come apart to go back together. It looks like a pretty nice car with all the pieces in place. I have not done anything up front, so the firewall and front frame are still the rotted out originals, but I think I have to rebuild the back end and then start into the front.

Again I found the half inch gaps between the rocker panels and the new floor. I can use some ratchet straps to pull the car together, and some tricks to push the floor apart. I'm learning something about myself in this project. I'm much to picky. How close should a measurement be?? I was in my buddies shop the other day and he was putting floor pans into a '73 Mach I. He was not wasting any time. He cut the holes and dropped the pans in and welded them shut all in a few hours. Sometimes you just gotta get the job done.

I still have some problems with the rear quarters. Later I'm going to spring for some good quarter panels, but these skins will have to do the job until I can afford the good stuff.
I would like to see a picture of the bottom corner of the quarter panel with the valence panel removed. Howdid that bracket on the rear valence originally fit up into the quarter panel? Is it a hole? It is a recessed cavity? How did the quarter originally attach to the rocker panel? Was it welded? Or was itbolted?

Next weekend I'll be back atthe local car show to take a closser look at a few cars. I think I can put this thing together with a little more pushing and prodding and a little knowlege from this group...thanks guys.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:16 PM
greenbay stang
1st Gear Member

The quarter to the rocker was spot welded. If you want the original look drill a 1/4 inch hole in the lip on the quarter and plug weld it. I will get picks of the quarter with out valance but it will be a little bit before I get a shot to take it off. As far as moving the rockers in and out for the floor pan, I have angle iron welded in an x and straight across from rocker to rocker along with an x in the trunk and many other braces to ensure the car does not flex. That way you can weld your floor and frames in and not worry about the car moving.