Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Heater core installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 06:43 PM
bw71mach1
1st Gear Member

Default Heater core installation

I need some help installing my heater core. When I bought the car the heater core was already removed. Does some one havethe steps necessary to reinstall the heater core.How much of the dash has to be removed? What about the steering column.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Joe67
Banned

Default RE: Heater core installation

yes someone please let us know how to do this i am in the same exact scenario, mine was removed when i bought it too
Old 08-09-2008, 11:36 PM
restomod66
3rd Gear Member

Guys,
Try this link!!

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/5769/index.html
Old 08-10-2008, 12:14 AM
skippytoo

I recently replaced the heater core in my 71 non-AC sportsroof, 351C. I followed most of the directions regarding the article linked above. For the 71, I removed the radio/heater control/guage assembly, also removed the dash pad, center console, and glove box door and insert. After disconnecting the heater resistor and control cables, you need to remove the plenum assembly (one screw), and remove the little nylon push-in clips that hold the defroster plenum and the floor plenum onto the heater box.The heater box in the 71 is retained by four studs with nuts on the firewall. Once you loosen those four nuts, and disonnect the heater hoses (if not already bypassed), the box will be loose. I found that once the box was loose, it would drop down but I could not rotate it out of the car until I loosened the nuts holding the dash panel to the body. By loosening the nuts, I was able to gain about another 3/4" or so and got the box to clear. Once out, heater core replacement is pretty straight-forward. Putting the whole assembly back in was still a PITA and I needed a helper to hold the box in place while I got the nuts started at the firewall.
If this is an A/C car, I suppose it's similar, but probably a lot more involved since you have more stuff.