Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Off Topic, but a pic of a mint SSP Police Mustang my Uncle has...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 10:11 AM
lunarweasel
4th Gear Member

I can't describe the difference between his 92/93 GT and this one (89). At least, it's hard to describe well.

The regular GT feels mushy and light, this one feels tight and heavy. You just gently 1st gear it out of a parking lot, and it is already obvious this is a serious car. The steering, which I don't think was modified over a regular GT, somehow feels more solid.

BTW, he almost never drives it. I think in the past 13 years he has only put 600 miles on it. The local sheriff has made him serious offers for it. I think he wants it for parades.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I bet the fact it only has 600 miles on it has something to do with that Heavy use puts a lot of wear on vehicle suspension and steering components. Plus, the PI models came with heavier sway bars.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:38 AM
69FB
4th Gear Member

My mechanic has two Florida SSP Mustangs

One has the light bar and everything (as stated not driveable on the road with all the "bells and whistles".

The other one is for sale the last time I heard.

It needed paint and interior work. Was an automatic without the lightbar and "bells and whistles", but I think he was asking 4500.00.

My brother and I were trying to talk a police officer friend of ours into buying it.

I believe they were both Florida Mustangs, the one for sale might have been a Georgia one.

The Texas DPS ones were extremely fast and lightweight. It would not surprise me if they did have to weigh them down.

The RS Camaros they used later were quick but nothing like the lighter 5.0 LX (type) Mustang models.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:43 PM
lunarweasel
4th Gear Member

69fb,

In Florida, at least, the autos were for unmarked use. I think the link above said that most FHP Automatics were blue. I dont remember exactly.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:07 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Originally Posted by 69FB
My mechanic has two Florida SSP Mustangs

One has the light bar and everything (as stated not driveable on the road with all the "bells and whistles".

The other one is for sale the last time I heard.

It needed paint and interior work. Was an automatic without the lightbar and "bells and whistles", but I think he was asking 4500.00.

My brother and I were trying to talk a police officer friend of ours into buying it.

I believe they were both Florida Mustangs, the one for sale might have been a Georgia one.

The Texas DPS ones were extremely fast and lightweight. It would not surprise me if they did have to weigh them down.

The RS Camaros they used later were quick but nothing like the lighter 5.0 LX (type) Mustang models.
Would this happen to be Paul from SVP Unlimited?
Old 10-03-2008, 07:30 AM
bwkelley76
3rd Gear Member

My '89 hatch LX 5-speed was ungodly fast as well, even in bone-stock trim. 140 was a "breeze" with the highway gears it had. I can imagine the CHP notchback being lighter was even faster yet.

I actually got pulled over and written up for exhibition of speed for doing a nasty burnout when leaving a car show one night. The CHP was really cool, really liked the car since it was black and reminded him of his old 5-speed cruiser which he bought and kept, so he gave me some pointers on how to get out of the ticket, which I did.

Another time I talked to a CHP in a Chevron Station and all he had to say was they are INSANE-FAST cars.

Of course I had to hop it up. 3:73 gears and every bolt-on you could imagine, etc. 185k miles on the block and heads, and it ran 13's in the quarter all day long without a hiccup. Loved that car and so did the people that bought it from me. It got replaced with a 2004 Ford Lightning though, and now I have a '65 Coupe. I'd probably own another one.

Nice CHP Cruiser and a great find!
Old 10-03-2008, 11:29 AM
69FB
4th Gear Member

BA Mustang,

That is correct. It is Paul of SVP Unlimited.

Even with the number of issues I've had with my car he's been honest and straightforward with me on everything. Discussed every thing before repairing and made suggestions on saving money (here and there).

I'm hoping to have everything (to make it driveable) fixed by next weekend. They got the transmission out today and discovered some "interesting things". I'll start a thread for that though.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:06 PM
wumarshall82
2nd Gear Member

They say the 86-93 mustang is the #1 ford hotrod car. I guess because of the power you can get out of em.. That was about 5 years ago I seen something like that in a magazine.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:18 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

He is on another forum I am on. He has a big topic about building a 67 shelby.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:42 PM
lunarweasel
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wumarshall82
They say the 86-93 mustang is the #1 ford hotrod car. I guess because of the power you can get out of em.. That was about 5 years ago I seen something like that in a magazine.

Im kind of fond of 65 for looks though.

Man, just typing about this car here makes me want to drive the 7 hours up to Ohio to go for a spin.

Quick Reply: Off Topic, but a pic of a mint SSP Police Mustang my Uncle has...