Notices
Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

crown vic rear brake conversion

Old 10-16-2008, 10:57 PM
gunnerdog
1st Gear Member

Default crown vic rear brake conversion

Does anybody have any information about using crown vic brakes to convert our rear drums? This is the ad on ebay. God or bad idea?
Convert your classic mustang /falcon to rear disc brakes. These bolt on to any 9" or 8" housing ends w/small axle bearings,this is what comes in your early mustangs and falcons as well as many other early model fords , these bolt up with minor modifications. These brakes have parking brake provisions. 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern for wheel . This is a auction with NO RESERVE ,being sold to the highest bidder,these do not fit oem orig. 14" steel rims,must trim lower part of axle flange flat to fit,parking cables are lead offs w/enough material to tie into your existing cables, that part is gonna be your own enginering,these work great if you are wanting a modern rear disc set up for added stopping power, these are removed from the mid 90s crown victorias,calipers are fresh pull offs w/no signs of leaking or sticking,rotors are turned and ready to install, all parking brake hardware is in place and functional, cleaned and painted.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:18 AM
pnandy
2nd Gear Member

don't go with this guy i bought some off him and got total crap i ended up having to get new rotors and pads plus you'll need a adpater plate for the rear.

Google mustang crown vitoria rear disc brake conversion
look for the one on the mercurycougar fourms and a guy named fast merc puts together complete kits and instructions for like 270+
Old 10-17-2008, 12:34 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

the cop rotors are better as they are vented. you need a small shim for the adapter correct?
Old 10-18-2008, 01:22 AM
msaner
1st Gear Member

I went to the junkyard and bought a set off of a 2000 crown vic cop car. I bought new pads, hoses, and rotors at autozone pretty cheap. The more you can get the better (hoses, lines, metric fittings, parking brake cables and housings). They bolted right on. You do need to make your your own parking brake cables. I used parts from my 66 and parts from the crown vic to make the cables work. Here are some pictures before I installed the new rotors.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:48 AM
ynned

Default Crown Vic how-to

Here's a very good How-to written by a guy on the Classic Mustangs mailing list. I made a few notes that I did differently.

http://ynned.tripod.com/crown_vic_di...vic_rear_discs

It's on Tripod free so be aware of pop-ups.
Keven did this conversion a dozen or so years ago and has been well pleased. I've got about 1K miles on it and been happy so far. I just sourced the brackets from a junk yard, and bought calipers, rotors and pads from NAPA. Get the calipers with the brackets if you can, as there's a core charge. IIRC, my cost was <$200 for all the new stuff.
Here's some pictures that may help.

http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/i...0rear%20discs/
Old 10-18-2008, 07:36 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

You will need shims like 1/4 of an inch thick to make up the difference of the bracket , these will secure the bearing and keep it still. They need to be at least over 1/4" wide also and not cut out of a piece of muffler pipe (too thin a wall thickness). I have 3 sets of these in use, some are off a Crown Vic and/or Explorer. So far I have had no issues and one set in on a track car and has got its workout. Heres one I shrotened and modified for the 65 in progress.

Old 08-25-2018, 11:06 AM
guitarman376
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67 evil eleanor View Post
You will need shims like 1/4 of an inch thick to make up the difference of the bracket , these will secure the bearing and keep it still. They need to be at least over 1/4" wide also and not cut out of a piece of muffler pipe (too thin a wall thickness). I have 3 sets of these in use, some are off a Crown Vic and/or Explorer. So far I have had no issues and one set in on a track car and has got its workout. Heres one I shrotened and modified for the 65 in progress.

Hey guys sorry to revive a decade+ old thread.
67EvilEleanor: What exact rear brake setup is in this picture? You say its crown vic, but CV's use a different mounting position for the calipers on each side of the axle. Is this an explorer brake setup? I am going back and forth about which setup I would like to grab from a salvage yard as a future project. Thanks.

Has anyone taken pictures of their e-brake setup with either CV or explorer brakes? It seems like this is one thing I can't find pictures of.

Besides the CV swap and explorer swap, are there any OE-parts swaps that have built in e-brake setups?