Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1966 GT350 Clone Build Log

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 06:58 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

Default 1966 GT350 Clone Build Log

I figured it was time to start this thread. I've been gathering parts and getting everything ready. The bulk of the sheet metal work is complete and the body is completely disassembled. My plan is to have this thing on the road in the early spring just in time for the driving season in the Northeast.

Here is the Ford Boss 347 crate engine with the TKO600 bolted up. I couldn't believe my luck in mounting the tranny to the engine. I lined it up with the jack and it slid right in first time! In all my builds, that was the easiest. Normally, I'm fighting with it for about an hour before it reluctantly slides into the disk and pilot bearing:

Imagine this bad boy sitting in the engine bay:

This is a 9" Detroit soft locker from Currie with 3.89 gears and 31 spline axles:

Here are a bunch of body parts that Mike and I sanded yesterday. We have a few pinholes to deal with, but overall they are pretty straight and well made:

I'll post pictures of the body next week and start a second thread for Mike's 1968 next month. I can't wait to really dig in to this project. It will be a lot of fun!

Mark
Old 11-02-2008, 07:01 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Looks like that will be a fun project.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:21 PM
1965fastback
3rd Gear Member

I'm lovin the mechanicals so for, can't wait to see what that thing will do on the road.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:23 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

I'm jealous. What is the estimated hp for that BOSS?
Old 11-02-2008, 08:04 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

OK, here's a question for you. If you take a non GT car and change out everything non-GT to the GT parts, why is it just a clone. Isn't the GT just a tricked out Mustang? It would be every bit as good as a GT wouldn't it? Aside from the VIN would there be any difference?
Old 11-02-2008, 08:11 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

looking great!! do you have pics of the car as it sits currently?

and HGC, i completely agree
Old 11-02-2008, 08:42 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

Here is the engine, it is rated at 450HP and 400TQ:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=9934

If it was a GT, I would agree. I was thinking because it was roughly based on a Shelby, I should call it a clone, but I have changed several things. I am using the GT rear valance so the exhaust comes through the valance. I am also using an aftermarket 6 gauge dash with brushed aluminum accents. I guess the only Shelby parts are the hood and front valance.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:24 AM
1971mach1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by honeygoldcoupe
OK, here's a question for you. If you take a non GT car and change out everything non-GT to the GT parts, why is it just a clone. Isn't the GT just a tricked out Mustang? It would be every bit as good as a GT wouldn't it? Aside from the VIN would there be any difference?
If you didn't call it a "clone" when you sold it, you would be mis-representing
the item to the buyer in a legal contract and could be sued for the inflated cost to the buyer and maybe even get criminal fraud charges. With the inflated prices of the rare mustangs, this may be big dollar difference.
If the VIN doesn't show it has the GT option, then it's not a
real GT, even if it has all the GT hardware. The actual DMV registered VIN never lies.

As long as you don't enter into a contract to sell it, you can call it anything you want, except maybe at a car show where they check the VIN. Someone even said "Nice Eleanor" about my Mach1, obviously a Chevy person!

Last edited by 1971mach1; 11-03-2008 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:55 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

You can't tell if a '66 was a GT through the VIN, although I believe a GT only came with either the A or K code engine. Of course, I would know and could never misrepresent my car. A Shelby is a whole different story. This one and the '68 will always be known by me as clones.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:39 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

sweet :-) your axle there reminds me of my project half year ago. but that engine and trans is a really shiny device. It would probably pull my car apart :-]

Quick Reply: 1966 GT350 Clone Build Log