Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

"NEW" 1969 Fastback

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 06:44 AM
67BullittCoupe
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RGH69
Personally I would rather mod a new body and leave the original to someone who wants to restore an original.
this is what i think as well. this wont make prices go up, in theory the price of 69 and 70 fastbacks will go down, so its bad if you are owning your car for investments, but most of us would keep our cars if they were worth nothing,

this is great for those people that want to build drag cars and shelby clones,

let them ruin mustangs that are new and replaceable and not original.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:43 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

The price is the only thing stopping most people from buying one.The 67/68 they used the convertible floor pan wonder if they did the same thing on the 69.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:42 AM
69FB
4th Gear Member

I'm glad they made the 69 shell, but for the price I paid for my sportroof I saved 2 grand (over the shell) and it came with an engine among other things. I know my car has been sort of a PITA due to my bad inspection but I still came out better than buying just the shell and building it from scratch.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:08 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67BullittCoupe
if 69 was so great, why did they fix the unwanted growth on the 1/4 panel?

or the nerdy stripe and headlights, four eyed geek....
In the 60s the "martini lunch" was quite popular. No doubt the design engineers had just returned from a particularly "heavy lunch" when they decided to remove these items. In fact there is documentation of designer Farley Fokstich waking up about 6:00 PM and saying "I removed the what?!?!?!" Since it was too late to undo the damage, the designers claimed the design to have new "features" much in the same way software engineers these days explain unexpected results from their programming.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:12 PM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

LOVE IT. No rust, and don't have to spend a butt load of timing de-triming, trearing down, cost of dipping....did I mention rust? Who cars if it's not real. I want one because of it's line, and the way it looks. Not what the VIN says.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:26 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

I don't see how popping the vin out of one car and puting it in another would be legal. I'll give you it is a gray area and not quite in the same league as replacing the vin on a car that previously had a vin. I like the approach though as it keeps one more Mustang alive and kicking! The vin number is the biggest issue that Dynacorn or any other producer has with their shells. It used to be you could buy titles of junked cars and they advertized in Hemmings. Many a streetrodder used this approach to title their car. Not long ago, I saw '41 ****** titles for sale in Hemmings and the blank vin plates have been available for years.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:54 PM
Nabster
3rd Gear Member

Ok, I'll say it. It's their first release of this body style. That means the people who buy one now get the fun of trimming, fabbing, and generally making parts fit that just don't quite like they should. All of that because this is a repro body, it's not exactly like the originals and it will have problems.

Personally, if I were to buy something like that, I'd wait till they go through with a second or third version of it that fixes the bigger problems people keep having with them.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:34 PM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

Still don't like it. Now anyone looking at my car or a 69 fastback won't know if its original or a complete reproduction. This isnt even fun anymore. I bought a classic car, not a kit car, but suddenly I am going to be rolling with the kit car crowd too, because theyll be at the same shows as me, and i might not know it any better than the average joe.

I can't believe you guys are so happy about this... this isn't about building or restoring mustangs to you guys is it? you just want the car, new or old. kind of sad.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:36 PM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

part of what excites me about my car is its history. what it has seen, who has driven it, where it has been, who its left stranded, and where. how many different engines it has had, how many people have shared different events of their life in or with it. thats part of my love for mustangs. The age. their ability to claim time on this earth. yeah its a bitchin lookin car, but if i wanted a brand new car that looked like something else, I'd go buy a Bugatti kit car. But I think that's lame.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:28 PM
Carlos Pineiro
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Waffles
Still don't like it. Now anyone looking at my car or a 69 fastback won't know if its original or a complete reproduction. This isnt even fun anymore. I bought a classic car, not a kit car, but suddenly I am going to be rolling with the kit car crowd too, because theyll be at the same shows as me, and i might not know it any better than the average joe.

I can't believe you guys are so happy about this... this isn't about building or restoring mustangs to you guys is it? you just want the car, new or old. kind of sad.
Not sure if this is a state vehicular code thing or not, but in CA anyway, a car's age is determined by the chassis. You can put a body shell made this year on a car, and regardless of the style, the legal age of the car is the age of the chassis.

IOW, if you put a 69ish looking shell on a chassis built after 1984, you need a third brake light, cat converter, etc. There are enough physical signs that will shout "kit car" to keep the originals in a different class.

The 69 coupe conversions to FB would be the exception, but I gotta believe they would be a rarity.

Quick Reply: "NEW" 1969 Fastback