Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

OEM Style Stainless Steel Fuel Gas Tank ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 11:41 PM
elaudtr

Default OEM Style Stainless Steel Fuel Gas Tank ?

My question is: has anyone purchased and/or installed an OEM style fuel tank made from stainless steel? I have done a few searches and no luck.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...T1=699002SS+01

They run about $309.95 and this would prevent any rust issues from now to forever.

Thank you.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:36 AM
ky
America ftw

lol. you said you had no luck, yet you post a link to one ?

this one fits a 66.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...?T1=69002SS+01

i dont think the normal ones have much of a rusting problem. my gas tank looks fine and its original. you can always save the money and get a plain steel one and paint it gray or black.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:37 AM
REAVER117
2nd Gear Member

What are the stock gas tanks made out of? I think my gas tank is the only part on the car without rust. Although it could be aftermarket, it has a white hue to it like it has some zinc or aluminum content.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:39 AM
ky
America ftw

i think its galvanized or aluminized. so it shouldnt rust anyways.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:43 AM
remicks
4th Gear Member

I think he means by no luck is that he hasn't met someone who has installed one.

But it is funny my old 65 which was nothing but rust but the gas tank was fine also. The only problem I can think of is if someone let the fuel sit and water gets in there, sediment and other stuff plugging up the sender.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:18 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

All steel gas tanks since I don't remember when have been galvanized to prevent corrosion. This is an obvious safety issue, especially in the rust belt. You're likely to see the trunk rot away before the gas tank. I think you're worrying too much. Worry about the rest of the car rusting away before the gas tank.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:17 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

I seen a few custom made ones put in early camaros only reason was to polish it and have a chrome looking tank.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:14 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

If it was setup for EFI, I'll take one. The stock tanks are steel with a anticorrosive coating, probably a zinc plating. The stainless steel would be well worth the extra cash in my book.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:37 PM
elaudtr

Default OEM Stainless Steel Fuel Gas Tank

Thank for your input. For me stainless steel is also worth the money if the gas tank is made well and inherently will not rust.

Yes, I am looking for someone who has installed, purchased, or owns an OEM/factory style fuel tank made of stainless steel. Yes, I know they are sold from $299.95 to $309.95, plus shipping.

MustangUnlimited sells basic OEM steel fuel tanks (standard and premium) for less than $110 per tank, but they use 3 different vendors without indicating a warranty period. NPD sells a steel tank made by American Designers, made with "Ni-terne" steel (non-stainless steel) and it has a 3 year warranty.

Anti-corrosive tanks made from regular steel tanks are called "Ni-Terne" material. Regular "Ni-Terne" is compared to traditional galvanizing. This steel is corrosion resistant; therefore, can rust under certain conditions. In another website a user of a basic steel tank did indicate that after 7 years they had some signs of rust in the corners.

Buy regular steel for less, but know your manufacturer of the tank.
Question: Or, who has experience with original style tanks made from Stainless Steel?

Thank you.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:42 PM
Nick.Simonds
4th Gear Member

Buy a regular tank and slap some por15 on it.

Quick Reply: OEM Style Stainless Steel Fuel Gas Tank ?