Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Hot Rod Power Tour

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 10:40 AM
1970 mach1
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Hot Rod Power Tour

Just keep rubbing it in. I'm here left behind in Mi.. Storms have went through here leaving me with 60 some traffic intersections black no edison power, and two intersections laying on the ground breaking all the traffic signal lights. I'm working 17 hours aday for the last 4 days now, I really think you should drop from the Power Tour and come back home and give me some help here, that would be the only right thing to do. Then I can go and complete the Tour for ya, yah that sounds real good to me. Sometimes fantasy is much better than reality. Glad to see ya having a great time.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:38 AM
jes72mustang
2nd Gear Member

Souinds like an awesome time, thanks for keeping us posted on the progress. I love to hear the stories of how everyone is helping eachother out. I saw that episode of rides with Titus, and like many thought it was a PR stunt. How cool to know that that really is happening. I how someday to be able to do the power tour as well. Still have some work to do before I feel confidant enough though. But it is good to know that everyone is so helpful if something does go wrong.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:04 AM
lClutchl
3rd Gear Member

Ok, so the tour is over One of the best spent weeks of my life!

This tour is so amazing that even my car show tolerating wife absolutley LOVED it! She is telling me how we are going to do this next year!

Quick recap of our tour...

Day 0 (Pre registration)
Ran into Bassini Exhaust... Scored a exhaust system in exchange for some equpment validation

Day 1
Huge car show! The opening day for the Power tour blew away any show I've been to so far! 3,000 registered particapants, + 1,000 or so rides that didn't register all located in one huge parking lot! If you could imagine a car, it was there!

Day 2
One of the coolest rides going from Milwaukee to Springfield... The overpasses lined with people waving at the rides... Way Cool! Springfield fairgrounds were a little lacking in layout, but do-able. This is where the carb started freaking out (black smoke!)

Day 3
Springfield to Indy! Another fun run... people watching the rides from the side of the road... Yokels are fun! We wound up in Indy, and the drags began! I finally got my wife to let me drag race, and the friggin carb was toast! A couple of experts came over and helped us tune it, but there was more to come on that!

Day 4
Indy to Nashville
The carb really started acting up... couldn't run it in stop and go traffic, but the freeway was all Go! Major accident on 65 south stopped traffic for an hour, we all got out of the cars on the freeway and had a little party. The truckers were a little miffed, since half of them were supposed to take the bypass, but were having too much fun following the rods, that they decided to take the long route. While in Nashville Bassini gave us free run of their toolkit to fix the carb.... Comp Cams sent a guy over and he troubleshot and fixed the carb for us! (wish I knew him the day before in Indy!)

Day 5
Nashville to Birmingham
We ran into a guy with a 68 Cougar who blew his waterpump... I drove him around to get a new one, and helped him install it. This put us 45 minutes behind the lead car... We wound up spending 6 hours in traffic for the 200 mile trek. A lot of that time was spent behind a house travelling down a mountain road! Immediatley after the house cleared the roadway, we had a massive downpour that forced us off the road for a few minutes. We wound up punching our ticked as the last prizes were handed out on main stage!

Day 6
Birmingham to Tallahassee
We got up early to miss the traffic! Worked out because we got a great spot in front of Bassini and the main stage. We ran into the future owners of the G-force GTO that was given away at the end of the tour.

Day 7
Tallahassee to Kissimmee
We were the first car in the venue! After being moved about the grounds for a while, the American Racing Equipment people spotted the Stang and pulled us into their exhibit! Later that day Hot Rod snapped some pics for the website, and life is Good! http://www.hotrod.com/powertour/113_...ry/index3.html

Day 8
Long Haul Awards
Exchanged names and emails with the nice new folk we ran into during the tour. Ran into Jhhrd73 and watched as he and his father tuned his ride up.

Anyone remotely interested in this tour should sign up for '06. We are!

C!

Old 06-13-2005, 12:15 PM
jrrhd73must
3rd Gear Member

Clutch is only partly correct. (He helped more than he let on)

On Day 6 I sheared the pin on my distributor gear. As he talked about the great people on the tour - I got a free tow to Kissamee and a ride. Clutch offered to drop his wife off at his hotel, and come back to pick my Dad and I to take us to our hotel. I ended up finding a guy heading our way towards the hotel.

On Day 7 - Final awards day, I got a new shear pin pressed into my distributor, but my Dad and I could not get the oil pump and cam gear to line up to put it in the car. A quick call to Clutch and some friendly advice from him, we finally got it in. Clutch showed up with his timing light and helped me time the engine. I got the car home over the next two days.

It is amazing how everyone helps everyone else out. There was not the typical Bowtie/Ford rivalry. It was everyone helping everyone.

Clutch and his darling wife are very wonderful people! I can't say enough of how great they are! They were life savers - Thanks Clutch!

BTW his car looks even better in person!

Jrrhd73must
Old 06-15-2005, 08:46 AM
lClutchl
3rd Gear Member

It was great meeting you guys! All the people like you and your father are the reason my wife is looking forward to next years power tour. (You guys are coming right?)

Oh, and btw what year and size is your Ford Powerstroke?

Can't wait until next year!
Old 06-15-2005, 11:01 AM
jrrhd73must
3rd Gear Member

We are already making plans and my wife has given authorization.

My truck is a 2000 F250 7.3L.

It was great meeting you all also. Next year I would like to get 4-10 mustangs driving and hanging out in a pack like the vettes and the SSRs did. I also plan to do the Long Haul sicne you all got a lot more benefits.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:00 AM
lClutchl
3rd Gear Member

Hmmm... I believe my wife has a 6-gun controller from Banks that works on your F250 Funny what you win on these tours... I'll check the box tomorrow after we replace the oil pump on my 68 here in Kissimmee.

Oh, my oil pump started flaking out, works great on the street, but drops pressure on the freeway. It was bugging me, but when I went from Ft. Lauderdale to Kissimmee all hell broke loose. I had to over fill the oil to keep the pressure up, and drive 55 on the toll way (never been passed so much in my life! )

After 5 or six calls to mechanics here in kissimmee (all of them told me to go to hell when I asked to get a 1 day turn over) I ran into one who knew about the tour, and had actually checked out the car at the Old Town cruise. He is getting us in his shop tomorrow and hooking us up. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Oh well, It's 3:00AM, and I have to be at his shop at 6:45.

Nite everyone
Old 06-16-2005, 10:13 AM
jrrhd73must
3rd Gear Member

Clutch,
Sorry to hear about the oil pump. That really sucks. Glad you found a garage. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. I have some friends in Daytona.

Also, pm me and let me know what you want for the Banks programmer.

Good luck and again, if there is something that I can do let me know.
John
Old 06-16-2005, 12:29 PM
1970 mach1
2nd Gear Member

Hey Clutch, It's a good thing The oil pump waited to the end of the tour to take a doo-doo. If ya are in the need for anything drop me a line. We help any way I can. I have friends near you that wrench on fords and they will be glad to help in parts , tools and or labor.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:08 PM
lClutchl
3rd Gear Member

Thanks guys!

All is well! I just got back from the Kissimmee Goodyear dealership... Great bunch of guys, two of them remembered me from the tour and Old town. They got a mechanical gauge brought to us and we hooked it up and double checked the electrical... Works fine! Either the sending unit or the electric gauge in the dash is faulty.

They spent about 1.5 to 2 hours with me in the shop, and in the parking lot assisting with tools and parts. After we verified the car was cool, we changed the oil out (mobil 1 synthetic) and tallied up the bill.

Full synthetic change (6 quarts) + filter + 2 oil gauges (needed to take parts from two to make a useable one for me on the road) + labor = $114.96

$114.96!

I was shocked! I pulled some cash out and gave it to the tech that worked on my ride and told him to order some pizza for himself and the crew. Only $40.00, I felt like I was taking advantage of these guys, but cash is quickly becoming tight near the end of a vacation. Everyone walked away with big grins on their faces. I'll have to think of something to send down to them later as a thanks.

So if anyone is in the Kissimmee area, I finally found some honest mechanics!

Quick Reply: Hot Rod Power Tour