Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Recommend me a welder

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 01:24 AM
david01130
4th Gear Member

Default Recommend me a welder

Im a beginner to welding but looking to learn. Mig welders seem easy and cleaner but what do I know. Ill be using it for stuff like repairing rust on the body, fixing radio holes, exhaust pipes, or simple patch jobs on the body or engine compartment. Nothing too serious. Gas or electric is fine but if an electric one can handle the jobs Im doing then that would be better. Any recommendations? Looking for something not too expensive and probably used would be best and cheapest off craigslist or something.
Thanks
Old 01-21-2009, 05:29 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

I have tried all sorts of things but find MIG welding by far the easiest (as well as easiest to learn). and it will do all jobs quoted
Old 01-21-2009, 05:36 AM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

I read somewhere that if you go with red, white, or blue, you can't go wrong. That is Lincoln, (red), Hobart (white), and Miller (blue). I have a Millermatic that I bought a couple of years ago. This one with the auto settings for wire speed:

http://store.cyberweld.com/millermatic135.html

It is my second mig welder. My first was an off-brand Italian made brand that I learned how to weld with 15 years ago. I was stunned at the difference a quality welder will make and highly recommend you stay away from the cheapo welders. Mig is definitely the way to go for your first welder and welding is a great example of where practice makes perfect.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:57 AM
palerider
4th Gear Member

+1 Mig. Lincoln 130 will run off 120v and will do all work you mentioned.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:22 AM
snorulz
2nd Gear Member

If you have 220V i recommend you upgrade to a 220V unit but a 110V as previously stated should do what you are looking to do. I have a Hobart Handler 140 (120V mig) and have been very happy with it. I don't have 220V.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:39 AM
Shawnb23
2nd Gear Member

I bought a miller 180 with autoset (220V). I would recommend this welder to other's, but I suggest you go with a 220V welder if you ever want to weld thicker metal.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:32 AM
SJs 66coupe
4th Gear Member

I haven't bought one as yet but I have some more patching to do (I am pretty sure that will be the case on-going pretty much forever) and have been looking at something similar to what fakesnakes posted.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:19 AM
Kramer
2nd Gear Member

I bought a lincoln 3200HD from home depot and a bottle of gas. I love it
Old 01-21-2009, 09:56 AM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

My father in law is a lifelong welder and now teaches at a college in eastern TN. He recommended the 220v for me, that will handle anything I could ever ask of it. I bought a Lincoln MIG 175 and definitely use the gas shielding, not the flux core wire. That will splatter everywhere. If you are wanting to buy 1 welder, the 220v is the way to go. If you are wanting to play around and not do a whole lot, then a 110v may be ok. But you will find you'll be much happier with a 220v in the long run.

You will need a 220v outlet though, which I had to add myself in my garage. I love mine and am happy with it. I also work with welders (PEOPLE) and they all pretty much agree if your going to buy one for home, don't skimp and buy a cheapo, you'll regret it, especially if you ever use a quality welder like a Lincoln or Miller. I would stick to one of those brands.

I think I paid about $500 for mine, then I had to buy a bottle and hood, gloves, wire, etc. Probably cost me $1000 for everything, but I would've paid that just to replace a floor pan at a body shop.

I've welded pans, frame rails, quarters, aprons, frame rail patches, brackets, sub frame connectors, cowl, fabed stuff, about everything that could be welded on these cars, I've done with my Lincoln. The welder has paid for itself many times over again.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:13 AM
Nick.Simonds
4th Gear Member

You defiantly get what you paid for with welders. I bought a cheapo flux core mig from Harbor Freight, it gets the job done, but DAMN the welds are ugly.

Quick Reply: Recommend me a welder