Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Panel Bond Floor Repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 04:23 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Default Panel Bond Floor Repair

Even though the body is done I still had a few issues to take care of underneath the 65. One was that the toe board/floor weld on the driver's side had rusted through. The rest of the floor was fine, as you can see, along with the rocker and even the seat risers. So I bought a short floor section from NPD and cut it so it would overlay four five inches up the toeboard and back across the floor. While the general shape was fine I spent about 8 hours reshaping the part to fit exactly so I had contact everywhere.
This time I bought the Universal Maxim Evercoat Panel Bond. It is black where the last stuff I used was gray. I think this is the replacement. The instructions now specify you can use it to attach door skins, full quarters, roofs and other non-structural repairs. They now also specify not to attach rails or rockers with it (were they thinking of us?). It now carries a warranty for the life of the car, although all they are obligated to do is give you another tube of the stuff.
I know the floors are structural but it's not like I was replacing them and bonding in the new ones. I consider this to be a patch. It does not touch the rocker and the vast majority of the floor was just fine. I removed the old brittle seam sealer from the floor drain and when I replace that I will also seam seal the edges of the patch.
All things considered, as long as you don't try bonding a new frame rail onto the car , this stuff is a pretty darn good alternative for us non-welders.

Old 01-31-2009, 04:39 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

Nice job! The 8 hours of shaping really paid off. While I prefer welding, that patch should last the life of the car. How are you finishing the bottom?
Old 01-31-2009, 04:43 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

I'll feather the edges of the patch a little and then prime, paint and spray rubberized undercoating. I doubt you'll even be able to see the patch with the undercoating on it.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:53 PM
Tony R
4th Gear Member

I also like the idea of welding. However if the stuff doesn't work and you cant get the car to start you can always run it like the flinstones vehicle. JK
Old 01-31-2009, 06:25 PM
ThanksDad
3rd Gear Member

Please explain what panel bond is and how it works. I have seen it referenced a few times but am clueless on. I also have almost the exact the same problem as honeygold did.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:44 PM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

That did come out good. When you are able to, fitting metal shapes really easily when you heat the crap out of it. Of course, you don't want to catch the carpet on fire if it's close, like in your case. Nice job.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:46 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ThanksDad
Please explain what panel bond is and how it works. I have seen it referenced a few times but am clueless on. I also have almost the exact the same problem as honeygold did.
I sent you a whole bunch of info via private message.