Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Carb Troubles? Mustang randomly runs like crap.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 05:31 PM
AlexZi
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all of the advice. Im going to try some of the suggestions out and see what happens.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:01 PM
AlexZi
2nd Gear Member

So I stopped posting in this thread since the problem fixed itself as normal, and I didnt have enough time lately to try out some of the tips you all gave. Well, Im back again because the problem started up again.

NOTE: I drove the car this morning, it ran fine, it sat in a parking lot for 5 and a half hours, and then the problem started when I was going home. I drove around my neighborhood for about 10 minutes just to see how the car would act. Stalled 3 times, and did notice some backfiring (Used the tip to rev high and let off quick to see if it backfired). They were mostly low backfires that werent too loud kinda like a thud, but then there were a few much much louder ones that sounded like the crack of a whip but a lot louder. My only problem with solving this issue is finding time to try out some of the tips you guys brough up, but hopefully Ill get on it, because I cant keep having this happen at random times, since the car is my DD.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:17 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Back fires are usually from running lean.

Check:
Vacuum line for leaks
Fuel bowl level
Fuel pressure (pump failing, filter clogged, regulator if you have one)

Since it comes and goes, it sounds like a fuel flow issue. If that all check out ok, look into the ignition.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:19 PM
AlexZi
2nd Gear Member

Something funny is, 5 minutes after I posted that I went to drive it. It drove perfectly for about 2 minutes, then it got a little worse, but not terrible, and nowhere near as bad as it was before I posted. Strange. It was still perfectly drivable, just a bit hesitant. I drove it for 25 minutes and it wasnt too bad, but not as responsive as it is normally.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:07 AM
palerider
4th Gear Member

Similiar problem to what I had - although it's very difficult to figure this out thru internet. Ended up I think being the vaccuum advance on distributor - put in new MSD ready to run and it was fine after that. I knew though on my car that it was not fuel related - new fuel pump, lines, tank, carb. Plus fuel pumps usually don't have intermittent problems - either work or don't. Plus I cahnged the plugs wires, distrib cap, coil. Was not even sure if it was distributor when I changed it out - just ran out of things it could be. good luck.

Last edited by palerider; 03-14-2009 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:09 PM
AlexZi
2nd Gear Member

After some quick investigating, I am only getting fuel squirting from ONE out of the two jets in my carb. Obviously one must be blocked, or not functioning correctly. Any steps or guidance on solving this problem?
Old 03-16-2009, 02:07 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

yep, rust and dirt will do that. you're not gonna fix the prob with the carb on the car. you'll have to pull the carb and spray cleaner in the primary circuit to clear the junk. a rebuild and GOOD fuel filter wouldn't hurt.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:57 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

before you do anything change the fuel filter, then pull and clean the carb.
otherwise you'll blow the same dirt right back in ...
Old 03-16-2009, 05:13 PM
AlexZi
2nd Gear Member

Its probably been the same dirt and junk that causes it every once and while. Ill probably try this out over the weekend. How difficult is a fuel filter replacement? Im pretty new to it all.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:24 PM
AlexZi
2nd Gear Member

PS Im willing to bet my gas tank has rust in it.

Quick Reply: Carb Troubles? Mustang randomly runs like crap.