Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

E-Stang Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 07:32 AM
sailfish11
2nd Gear Member

The motor is an AC55, built by Azure Dynamics. Here's some stats from the Electro Automotive Website (that's AD's distributor).

Here's what the motor looks like installed in the bay:

Thanks for the heads up on the frame twisting -- the car has subframe connectors, do you think that would be enough?
Old 03-01-2009, 09:31 AM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Are you going to have to get a CD recording of a 289 and put speakers under the rear valance to make it sound like a Mustang? Just kidding. I like the project. I agree the EVs do not have to look like cockroaches!
Old 03-01-2009, 09:41 AM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfLTvpK_Wn8
Old 03-01-2009, 11:31 PM
sailfish11
2nd Gear Member

Some more pics. A view of the motor and mount from below:

Here's a shot of the motor bay with the motor and the rack for the motor controller:

And finally, a couple shots with the motor and controller installed:

Old 03-01-2009, 11:55 PM
sailfish11
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67 evil eleanor
I'm guessing the you may be a few pounds less that a good ole V8. A full gas tank will go over a hundred pounds. The cooling system 30 or 40 lbs. Removint the old battery 40 lbs. Tranny and fluid, another hundred pounds. That in its self is about three hundred pounds. I would like to see some pictures of the cells you plan to use. If done well, it will smoke a V8, and your biggest obstacle is going to be wind resistance. I would consider smoothing up the front (in a tastful way) as this is going to save tons of energy at highway speeds. Also I'm interested in the control system that you plan to use. DC is fairly easy to control compared to AC (its been a while since I've played with them though). Good luck and don't get fried.
You're right, I'm removing a lot of weight, but not that much. I'm still using the tranny (but no clutch) and I'll still have the aux battery -- although I can use a much smaller/lighter one (maybe a motorcycle bat).

Wind resistance will only come into play at highway speeds, and with a 60 mile range, I won't be doing a lot of that. This will mostly be a city car -- enough to take care of about 90% of my daily driving needs.

One of my dreams with this car is to, at some point down the road, add a small generator and make it into a series hybrid. In effect, the same setup as the Chevy Volt. Then I'd have to do something about wind resistance -- probably a grill delete and a belly pan.

The control system is the motor controller you see in the previous post. It's an AC system, which has better efficiency than a DC. The high voltage (most EVs are 120-144V) also adds efficiency. About the only advantage DC has is low-end torque; so all the EV drag racers use it. A DC setup is also much cheaper, so it's still the most common for EVs.

Last edited by sailfish11; 03-02-2009 at 12:30 AM.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:56 PM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sailfish11
The motor is an AC55, built by Azure Dynamics. Here's some stats from the Electro Automotive Website (that's AD's distributor).

Here's what the motor looks like installed in the bay:

Thanks for the heads up on the frame twisting -- the car has subframe connectors, do you think that would be enough?

is that a flux capacitor???
Old 03-02-2009, 12:05 AM
MineralGray02K

looking great!!
Old 03-02-2009, 12:20 AM
Deviousfred
3rd Gear Member

Wow! This is gonna be awesome! Can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:29 AM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Sweet project! Great to see people doing things like this.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:32 AM
rst08tierney
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sailfish11
There's a picture of the batteries in post 3 -- but they're not installed in the car yet (still manufacturing the battery rack).

A123 is the only US maker of lithium cells -- unfortunately if you're name isn't Chevy they won't talk to you. They have made it very clear they have no interest in selling to individuals. Too bad, I'd have much rather spent my money here, rather than buying from the Chinese....

By the way, here's a shot of the engine, er, motor bay, freshly painted:

I'm a little disappointed that he didn't mask or remove anything before painting -- but I guess that's what I get for having my EV converter do the painting!
Thats going to be a mess when you try to loosen bolts etc. I would have your EV converter stick with his day job

Quick Reply: E-Stang Build Thread