Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Carburator Valve

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 05:24 PM
michaeldoggrell
2nd Gear Member

Default Carburator Valve

During the cleanup of my engine i noticed that the carbutator valve always stays open, even when i put the pedal to the metal, which i don't think is correct, right ?

Checkout this the picture i made

Carburator 66 coupe

2 questions about it:

1) Shouldn't there be a connection between the valve closing mechanisme on the left of the picture and the fuel mechanism (i mean the part that moves when u press the pedal)

2) In the middle of the picture, to the right of the valve closing mechanisme, there is a small stick that seems to be some kind of leverage system. What does this do ?
Old 06-14-2005, 06:24 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Carburator Valve

By the looks of your carb, you need to do some major carb cleaning. That round thing on the left is your choke guide , and it looks like it has screwed the pooch as well. You have some work to do buddy. Getredun.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:18 PM
michaeldoggrell
2nd Gear Member

By the looks of your carb, you need to do some major carb cleaning. => I know ... I am starting to figure out why this stang was so cheap

That round thing on the left is your choke guide , and it looks like it has screwed the pooch as well. => What do you mean by this ? Whats the "pooch" ?
Old 06-14-2005, 07:31 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: michaeldoggrell

During the cleanup of my engine i noticed that the carbutator valve always stays open, even when i put the pedal to the metal, which i don't think is correct, right ?

Checkout this the picture i made

Carburator 66 coupe

2 questions about it:

1) Shouldn't there be a connection between the valve closing mechanisme on the left of the picture and the fuel mechanism (i mean the part that moves when u press the pedal)

2) In the middle of the picture, to the right of the valve closing mechanisme, there is a small stick that seems to be some kind of leverage system. What does this do ?
1) No, that's your choke mechanism. It should not be open all the way like that when cold. That flap (Choke butterfly), helps to adjust the amount of airflow passing into the carb when the motor is hot vs. cold. It should be almost all the way closed when cold and all the way open when hot. The fuel throttle linkage (right side) is attached to the butterfly valve at the base of the carb. If you look down the throat of the carb you'll see that valve. That valve will move relative to how far you pull the throttle linkage or have your foot on the gas.

2) I belive that's your float adjustment. It controls how high of a level of fuel is maintained in the bowl of the carburetor. Too high and you flood the engine and run rich, too low and you lean out the mixture.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:13 AM
michaeldoggrell
2nd Gear Member

So what is this "pooch" soaring is talking about ?
Old 06-15-2005, 04:50 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Just an old Texas saying meaning your choke mechanism is shot. You need to either clean your carb (overhaul it) or get one that has already been overhauled. The butterfly should be closed when the engine is cold, and if it isn't, then it is stuck open from crud at the hinge points, or the black round thing you see on the left has a broken spring. Heat from the manifold controls that choke mechanism. As the engine heats up, the butterfly slowly opens so that when the engine reaches operating temperature, the butterfly is fully open. That rod on the right is your accellerator throttle linkage rod that is attached to the gas pedal. Any screws on the carb body are air/fuel mixture screws. The more they are turned clockwise, the richer the fuel/air mixture. They should be about 1/12 to 2 turns out, then slighyly adjust from there until the engine smooths out. To adjust the float, you have to take the carb apart. Here is some bedtime reading to get you up to par with how carburetors work. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question377.htm