Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 04:17 PM
SJs 66coupe
4th Gear Member

Default Is it possible?

I was just kicking something around...been a bunch of years since I have helped someone pull a motor but I don't recall it being rocket science. Certainly something that I could read up on as a refresher and then get it done.

Found a local place where I can rent a hoist for $24 for half day or $30 for a whole day.

Getting close to having the cash to pay the engine builder all he needs to go at it. I really prefer that because he can even do the break in, time it for me the whole nine yards and frankly the warranty would be nice.

However, if I had to pay my buddy's shop to pull the motor and detail the bay it would be at least an additional grand. I can take several days off and do it myself....I turned five years at my job in early '08 and have since had an extra week of vacation that I don't really have any plans to use for other reasons.

What I was trying to remember is if it is possible to pull a motor by yourself....seems like an extra set of hands would be nice when removing the hood, etc. but I could sure get this done a hell of a lot faster if I didn't have to come up with the additional money.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:20 PM
Gun Jam

yeah I think it could be done....moving the hood would probably be the hardest part.

When pulling the motor just go slow at it and keep checking all sides to make sure nothing is getting caught up.

-Gun
Old 04-21-2009, 04:31 PM
SJs 66coupe
4th Gear Member

I was thinking the hood for certain would be difficult but I have a couple of eight year old boys at home that could probably help me (at least if they like getting their allowance)....I wouldn't think the hood is that heavy just cumbersome. Maybe if I get the two of them on one side and me on the other.

Heck one of the requirements they need to get done for Tiger Cub is helping out with a project around the house anway, LOL!

Actually, my neighbor next door is a good guy and would probably help me out with it. He doesn't know much about cars but it would seem directions like "hold it there and don't let it slip / fall" would be pretty simple.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:37 PM
Gun Jam

as long as you dont try to pull the trans out with it its not a big deal.

-Gun
Old 04-21-2009, 04:56 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Stock hoods aren't exactly light. That's a big plate of steel with steel reinforcements. Don't know if an 8yr old can lift half of that.

As for pulling the motor, it's not too hard to do by yourself. An extra set of hands makes it go easier and faster, but if you're careful you can do it by yourself.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:00 PM
109jb
3rd Gear Member

Sure it is possible. I've pulled several by myself, Including the 351W out of my mustang. The key is thinking before doing and having a plan. When you rent the hoist, also rent the load leveler as it will make life much easier.

I removed my hood myself too, but didn't care too much if I scratched the paint as it is going to get re-painted. I would get some help for this step.

As for going back into the car. Since you are going to detail your engine compartment, make sure you have some help so that you can control the swing of the motor so you don't scar your engine bay.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:02 PM
Joe67
Banned

I am just 15 and pulled the 289 and 4 speed out of my friends mustang alone...
The hood was cumbersome but experience in a body shop helped me there... I was able to get it off and move it alone though.

Just have patience when you do it.

Also make sure you have the engine stand ready so you aren't stuck with the hoist an extra day.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:53 AM
good12hav
2nd Gear Member

It is definately possible. I pulled my motor and trany out by myself. Removing the hood by myself was the hardest part.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:46 AM
groho
4th Gear Member

clear everything out of the way that can unbolt from the motor, like fan, radiator, exhaust, etc, give yourself as much room as possible. go slow. if your pulling the tranny with it, don't forget the yoke in the tail end of the tranny to prevent spilling, and make sure your up high enough to clear the tail of the tranny and ground. not a problem.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:18 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

where are you living that you can't borrow a set of hands for 10 minutes ? :-)