Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Vacuum line

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 07:38 PM
classicman

Default Vacuum line

Hi all,
I know I have been asking lots of questions but I am no mechenic. I have been getting my mustang ready for the road and found something I never noticed. I shaw lots of pictures of a 289 motor with a vaccum line coming from the distrubtor to somewhere under the air cleaner. My mustang has no such line right now. I have a 1965 2 barrel motor. The car starts fine and seems ok when driving. What is this line for? Also where would I attach this line. Hope I explained it well enough for someone to give some advice.

Thank you in advance
Old 04-22-2009, 09:01 PM
Mustangdemon67
4th Gear Member

the vacuum line would attach to the carburetor. it provides spark advance when the throttle is only partly open when the engine load is low. the vacuum advance is a way of matching ignition timing to engine load, it also helps with mpg because it helps maintain ideal spark advance at all times.

spark advance is to cause a spark plug to fire earlier by changing the ignition timing, advancing the distributor or firing the coil earlier.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:10 PM
MIL1ION
2nd Gear Member

SEE THE SMALL HOSE THAT RUNS along the coil to just behind the choke shield

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2745...wc?vhost=rides
Old 04-22-2009, 11:46 PM
classicman

I see the pictures but where does it insert into the carb. I dont seem to see anything on mine to mount too. I have a compression nut on the bottom of the choke that is going to the manifold. I noticed on one of the pictures it has a nipple on the lid of your carb. Mine does not. I am assuming that is not what I was look for. I will have to revisit my carb tomorrow and take another peak. Is this why my car is burning rich at idol?
Old 04-23-2009, 03:34 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by classicman
Thank you in advance
LOL

yep vacuum advance. send us a picture of your carburator with aircleaner removed. once we know which carb you have we might be able to tell you where it goes
Old 04-23-2009, 09:26 AM
109jb
3rd Gear Member

It is possible that your distributor is aftermarket and is only mechanical advance and doesn't have a vacuum advance. If your distributor doesn't have something like the item circled in red in the picture below then you have a mechanical advance only distributor.
Attached Thumbnails Vacuum line-dist.jpg  
Old 04-23-2009, 06:14 PM
classicman

I just looked again at mine and There is a plug at the end of the diaphragm assembly. I also found the hole in my carb where it would screw into. Now do I go down to the mustang shop and purchase this stainless steel line., Its around $20.00? Also where would I find the adapter that screws into the end if the duaphragm? Would this be the reason why I always smell gas around my car when it is running? I dont have any leaks around my motor. My carb is an autolite 2100 its the original.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:37 AM
Mustangdemon67
4th Gear Member

it doesnt have to be a stainless steel line, it can just be a rubber hose you get at a local auto store. the fuel smell could just be your carb running too rich
Old 04-24-2009, 08:29 PM
MIL1ION
2nd Gear Member

best is as much steel line as possible.

rubber absorbs and retains heat... fuel needs to stay cool....in arizona or other hot places can cause vapor lock.

rubber also over time breaking down,can leak in air causing lousy fuel delivery
Old 04-24-2009, 10:46 PM
mushaus
1st Gear Member

You would have vapor lock with the fuel line but not with a vacuum line, right?

Quick Reply: Vacuum line