Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Cragar G/T's...Do you like these wheels.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 02:41 PM
AlexZi
2nd Gear Member

Default Cragar G/T's...Do you like these wheels.

Im thinking of picking up a set of vintage Cragar G/T's from the early 70s. Here are some pics of what they look like:

And this is a pic of the actual ones Im looking at:

They look a little weathered. What would it take to clean these up and be driver quality?

100 dollars for the set right now+shipping. 14 inch. What do you all think of these?
Old 04-26-2009, 03:26 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Sand down the black, prime that area, and then paint over with a new coat of black. I like them.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:02 PM
Deviousfred
3rd Gear Member

More importantly, do YOU like them. But to aswer your questions, YES! They would look good on a 67 Coupe! Coupes make everything look better.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:15 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Deviousfred
Coupes make everything look better.
lol...
Old 04-26-2009, 04:27 PM
JamesW

Find out what the backspacing is before you buy them. Back in the day the offsets were narrow and the tires often rubbed the fenders
Old 04-26-2009, 04:47 PM
AlexZi
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I like them, just wanna see what the community thinks

and will do on the backspacing. Ill report back here cause I dont know the first think about wheel fitment.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:44 PM
JamesW

Also check the width. Most likely 14x6 on 3.75" backspacing. You'd want to run a 70 series tire. They will ride good and steer nicely, and will definately give you that old school look.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:25 PM
AlexZi
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JamesW
Also check the width. Most likely 14x6 on 3.75" backspacing. You'd want to run a 70 series tire. They will ride good and steer nicely, and will definately give you that old school look.
Well, I fell asleep and the auction is about to end in 10 minutes. The seller never got back to me on the questions, and bidding is only $103 right now. Do I take the risk and bid, or pass up since I dont know the details...I think Ill pass. Dont wanna risk it.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:04 PM
Randys66gt
2nd Gear Member

I still have the 15" set that came on the car. I am the second owner and the original owner said that he bought the car with them as a dealer option. Don't know if that is true but I was offered 2K for the tires and wheels. That made up my mind to keep ALL the original stuff off the car including the log of every gas fillup, oil changes etc.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:09 PM
lunarweasel
4th Gear Member

Alezi,

These are the wheel I cryptically posted about yesterday. I have been trading communication with this guy for a week. He dropped off the face of the earth after yesterday morning (we traded emails every morning covering all the bases for shipping). It finally got to one last critical question, and he disappears. I was willing to pay a lot more than 103 frickin dollars.

On the bright side, at least we didn't end up bidding against each other.

The wheels would have been no problem, the guy had told me great stories about them on his 66.

Quick Reply: Cragar G/T's...Do you like these wheels.