Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

hole in 302 block

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 08:55 PM
68 Coupe
1st Gear Member

Default hole in 302 block

I had a local machine shop hot tank and bore my 302 block (.030") about 2 weeks ago. I finally unwrapped the block and got it on an engine stand today, and I noticed a hole in the block that I hadn't noticed before when I tore it down. My suspicions are that they knocked a hole in it while they were doing the machine work, but didn't say anything thinking I wasn't going to notice. I don't think it is worth arguing with them about at this point, but my question is, can I weld the hole shut without damaging the integrity of the block? In the attached picture, I am pointing at the hole, about the size of a penny. I would "cold weld" it with nickel electrode, and keep my heat input to a minimum. It isn't my welding skills I am wondering about, rather, can the block be welded on without compromising its strength. It isn't in a water jacket, but the ridge that seperates the timing gear from the lifter area. You can see the hole for the distributor above my finger.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:02 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

iirc on a cast block you have to heat the block cherry red and then weld on it

and you pic isnt working
Old 05-06-2009, 09:07 PM
Nick.Simonds
4th Gear Member

Need pics. Is it in the lifter valley near where the distributor sits?
Old 05-06-2009, 09:09 PM
Nick.Simonds
4th Gear Member

This hole?

Old 05-06-2009, 09:31 PM
68 Coupe
1st Gear Member

Second try
Attached Thumbnails hole in 302 block-block-hole.jpg  
Old 05-06-2009, 09:33 PM
Nick.Simonds
4th Gear Member

Ford did that. Don't worry about it.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:35 PM
68 Coupe
1st Gear Member

Nick,
That is the one.....I guess I was just being stupid. What is it for? I asked our auto shop teacher and he didn't think it was supposed to be there either
Old 05-06-2009, 09:38 PM
68 Coupe
1st Gear Member

It really looks like a piece has been broken out with as rough as the hole is. Also, down inside where the machined surface where the distributor sits looks like part of it has been broken out. I imagine Ford did this too?
Old 05-06-2009, 10:05 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

That hole has been there might have been plugged up with sludge.Welding cast iron is one of the hardest things to weld just so you know.I believe that hole is for oil to come in the lifter valley or its a drain hole.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Joe67
Banned

I thought the same thing when i got my block back.
Its so oil can drain out of the lifter pan, onto the timing chain.

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
That hole has been there might have been plugged up with sludge.Welding cast iron is one of the hardest things to weld just so you know.I believe that hole is for oil to come in the lifter valley or its a drain hole.
Tell me about how hard it is to weld cast iron, for a "special assignment" at work, i was sent to our salvage yard to work on a jeep with a broken control arm, my task was to temporarily repair the control arm to be able to move the jeep around, equipped with 1 small bottle jack, a generator a MIG WELDER!, and a file.... After fooling with rocks i found there and using tires to hold this car up in the dirt moving it 5 inches at time with a bottle jack... anyway i take the wheel off to find its cast, but i didn't stop there, using the heat of the mig welder i preheated the cast enough to melt together. Wasn't "fun" per se, but it was a challenge i couldn't help but accept.

Quick Reply: hole in 302 block