Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

swapped for the edelbrock 650 (thunder AVS)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 03:16 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

yep. that's the one:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...?part=EDL-1806

they are 500, 650 and 800 as options

came with the engine, otherwise would have never bought it, but I'm starting to like the thing

I have it adjusted so that both throtle plates (prim/sec) are fully opened at pedal down no further, although I could even go further doing as Tad says. That's what I meant with the protection.
weather is atrocious, so once it's a bit better I'll re-check on linkage to make sure my theory is correct. usually I just go until throttle linkage stops, but this one seems to be able to go 'further' ?!

kalli
Old 05-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Hmm. I'll have to check mine out and report back.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:15 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Tad: don't bother. It was the usual case of Kalli stupidity. I shouldn't be alklowed working on cars.
I was staring at throttle linkage and butterflies that I completely missed the fact I was hitting the rubber heater hose with the passenger side of the linkage. How's that for talent ?
The car is now very driveable but on the way to work I found no place to floor it yet.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:25 AM
Joe67
Banned

So what was wrong with the 570?
You've got me leery of it now...
Old 05-15-2009, 08:33 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Joe67
So what was wrong with the 570?
You've got me leery of it now...
wrong nothing, but in a huge need for tuning to match the engine. Since there's noone with an assortment of jets, PVs and cams so I would have had to order 100+ dollars in parts and wait for them for two weeks until I could start fooling around with it.

With the edelbrock I was just luckier with the out of the box setting. I haven't even finished to go through all options of tuning it without swapping parts and it's already running good. I'll do the secondary adjustment next and have a tuning kit (springs/rods) for the carb to finetune the thing.

I haven't got the dosh for wideband o2 at the moment, so it needs to wait for another month or life, so I'll get the plugreader and DVD that 67m302 suggested (does that man have a name?) and go from there.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:24 AM
Joe67
Banned

Oh, got ya,
I'm torn between the 570, 600, and the Summit 600
Just trying to make sure i make the right choice.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:45 AM
Joe67
Banned

Originally Posted by kalli
67m302 suggested (does that man have a name?)
Frank
Old 05-15-2009, 12:23 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kalli
Tad: don't bother. It was the usual case of Kalli stupidity. I shouldn't be alklowed working on cars.
I was staring at throttle linkage and butterflies that I completely missed the fact I was hitting the rubber heater hose with the passenger side of the linkage. How's that for talent ?
The car is now very driveable but on the way to work I found no place to floor it yet.
LOL We all make stupid mistakes
Old 05-15-2009, 05:19 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

yep. it's great!
all easy and good. I can cruise in 5th at 30mph (don't want to do that but now can), i can drive of every traffic light in normal manner etc.
The only thing left is putting a bit more pressure on the secondary flap as there's a very slight bog when they open. At least now they open. power is good :-) great car.

one thing which I'm unsure about to fix is when i go downhill in first in idle, so I go at walking speed the car is jumpy. i'll try to retard the advance for the vacuum to see if that helps (have advance hooked to manifold), so this is where it's advancing most.maybe too much ...

the spark plugs changed colour. the ceramic has way more greay and red tones now. before that it was clean with a few deer colored spots. And the lower half of the ceramic (the whole inside) is black as if too rich.
But unless I get that tuning kit I don't know what to try anymore anyway. I'm happy as I don't seem to run lean anywhere anymore and power is good

Last edited by kalli; 05-15-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:15 PM
Carlos Pineiro
3rd Gear Member

I have the same carb on a 302. Install was a snap, with very little adjustment needed. My numbers are:

- floor pedal, release then start engine (cold)->1800rpm
- tap pedal slightly-> drop to 1100rpm
- drive and during warmup the rpms gradually drop from 1100 to idle
- when fully warm idle at set idle speed (850rmp)

It's in the 50s at night, and high 60s in the day (Fahrenheit). It only needs about 30 secs at high idle before I can kick it down to set idle (850rpm). With glasspacks, c4, and 350 gears I get 15 MPG. I don't know what that equates to in kms per litre, but hopefully you'll get the same, which is pretty good gas consumption. The thunderjet model we have facilitates adjusting the secondaries with one screw adjustment. Drive it for a couple hundred miles (klicks?), then re-tune. Good luck, Kalli.

CP

Quick Reply: swapped for the edelbrock 650 (thunder AVS)