Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

how would you guys fix this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 12:40 PM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

Default how would you guys fix this?

would you guys have somebody remove these dents and crumples? or would you think it would be cheaper to buy a new sheet and just bondo it to the body? this was deemed totalled about 10 years ago and my mom is finally gunna let me have it, so its gunna take a bit of work, but when its done itl b awsome.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:47 PM
Gun Jam

new skin is pretty cheep...I think I saw them for about 100 in NPD...I would probably just replace them rather than try to fuss about getting them lined back up
Old 05-14-2009, 12:56 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

According to Ford Engineering, the quarter panel is 20% of the strength of the rear of the car. Having seen many similar Mustangs, with rear compression damage, that car needs a quarter panel, outer wheelhouse, rear frame rail, rear crossmember, and of course the bumper and valence panel. Anything short of that will be patched-up, weak, and probably poorly aligned. You see that gap between the quarter and decklid? The frame rail and trunk floor are kinked and bent downward at that same angle. Since decent quarter panels are available, a skin would definitely be a second-rate repair.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:21 PM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

as long as i would be replacing that panel then, should i replace both sides, and the roof, and try to make it into a fastback? or would that just be wayyyyyy to difficult?

Last edited by Red Beast; 05-14-2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:44 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Red Beast
as long as i would be replacing that panel then, should i replace both sides, and the roof, and try to make it into a fastback? or would that just be wayyyyyy to difficult?
Considering the substructure involved, way too difficult. Replacing a quarter is really not so bad, when you consider how much work there is to weld the entire "skin" seam along the beltline and get it smooth. Here, that area needs no attention at all, and the attaching seams are recessed to allow for body work.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:04 PM
Nick.Simonds
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Red Beast
would you guys have somebody remove these dents and crumples? or would you think it would be cheaper to buy a new sheet and just bondo it to the body? this was deemed totalled about 10 years ago and my mom is finally gunna let me have it, so its gunna take a bit of work, but when its done itl b awsome.
Bondo it to the body? O God, please take it to a pro.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:25 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

2+2 is spot on. That will require extensive work, take it to a pro unless you want to come up here and live in the shop so I can teach you how to do it.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:44 PM
109jb
3rd Gear Member

It isn't that tough a job for someone that has done this kind of work before, but if you haven't it could be a problem. Everyone has to start somewhere, but crash reapir might not be the best place. The way to fix it right is to remove and replace all the bent pieces with new ones. This requires drilling out spot welds to remove the panels, fitting new ones in in the correct locations, and welding them in. YOU CAN"T JUST GLUE OR BONDO THEM IN. This is a major portion of the structure of the car. You can still do it yourself, but you for something like this you should have someone with experience that can give you guidance. I had my dad when I started monkeying with cars. Try a local car club or maybe someone on the forum is near you that can assist. Be aware that if you get it wrong, you may wind up doing it again. Looks like a great project car though.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:07 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Originally Posted by 109jb
It isn't that tough a job for someone that has done this kind of work before, but if you haven't it could be a problem. Everyone has to start somewhere, but crash reapir might not be the best place. The way to fix it right is to remove and replace all the bent pieces with new ones. This requires drilling out spot welds to remove the panels, fitting new ones in in the correct locations, and welding them in. YOU CAN"T JUST GLUE OR BONDO THEM IN. This is a major portion of the structure of the car. You can still do it yourself, but you for something like this you should have someone with experience that can give you guidance. I had my dad when I started monkeying with cars. Try a local car club or maybe someone on the forum is near you that can assist. Be aware that if you get it wrong, you may wind up doing it again. Looks like a great project car though.

actually you can with structural adhesive a lot of cars have panels glued on now. remember the chevy APV vans from the late 80 APV= all plastic vehicle it was glued together :P
Old 05-14-2009, 05:17 PM
Joe67
Banned

Man, that is in serious need of pro or semi-pro attention
i bet you the frame needs pulled, and i bet you even then it'll be incredibly difficult to get the gaps correct... Not really a DIY job for beginner. sorry if i got your hopes down, but it would be worse if you attempted it and found out the hard way

Quick Reply: how would you guys fix this?