Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

some weird noise/screaching

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 08:23 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Default some weird noise/screaching

Hi all,
I'm collecting ideas on where a specific noise could come from so I can check on it tonight.
It doesn't happen when the car is standing (not moving), that's why it seems hard to track down
It is not related in any way to engine/gearbox/wheel rpms or speed (other than that it disappers at stop)

Sometimes it is triggered by driving over a pothole or speedhump and then seems to stay. Another speedbump might cure it for another 100 metres

When I apply the brakes in most cases it goes away
When I stop it always goes away

The tone is higher pitched (not very high as in can't hear. high and loud). Mostly constant frequence scream

I tried to track it down in slowing down and just before I stop it disappears and seems to be replaced by some kind of rubling. very silent very hard to hear.

I cannot really figure where it's coming from. I'd like to say front, but not sure on this one.

I have the following theories so far:
- the electric fuel pump, but I can hear that as well and seems from different area
- the electric fuel pump swinging causing the suspension to constant squeak
- brake pads vibrating ? I have discs front and back

It started about 4 days ago but I can't really track it down.
It happens as well when I drive very slow (2-5mph), so maybe I can find someone who is willing to run next to my car to tell me what corner it comes fromm ...

Any ideas ?
Old 05-15-2009, 08:30 AM
Joe67
Banned

Not sure of the sound, but a fuel pump would make a noise in idle... correct?

Suspension bushings sounds to be a candidate,

Old 05-15-2009, 10:04 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

it's a b1itch to grease the UCAs as in the 64 they don't have grease nipples. I have new UCA bushings that have nipples but haven't gotten around of putting them in yet.

another info is that happens more when the car was driven for 1 or 2 miles. In the first two I never hear it. then it starts silent and eventually gets louder. it's as if it had 3 volume levels. off, medium and full blast ...
Old 05-15-2009, 10:09 AM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

What about wheel bearings? maybe they get locked up a little and start screeching and then jar back to working for a bit, and do it again..

just shooting from the hip there..
Old 05-15-2009, 10:21 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

thanks booger for the idea,
I've heard plenty of noisy wheel bearings in my life. but never any that would screach in such a way. They usually make a grinding noise
Old 05-15-2009, 10:27 AM
Joe67
Banned

the off medium and full blast may be due to a dry joint, and heat build up. metal expansion perhaps, in the used car business its often i have to diagnose squeaks, creaks, rattles, squeals etc... Just hard to tell without hearing it...
Any way to record a sound of it? Just an idea that would be helpful to me and anyone else...

But if its soft medium loud i'm guessing metal on metal somewhere where this is heat build up, wheel bearing MAYBE, spun race? UCA is a possibility... Wish i could be more of a help than i am being... lol
Old 05-15-2009, 10:32 AM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Get someone else to drive it and walk or ride a bike next to it until you can identify the area of the car it's coming from.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:51 AM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

I vote for brake pads. Are they old or have "squealers" on them?
Old 05-15-2009, 10:53 AM
pass1over
1st Gear Member

if you apply brakes and it goes away, I would say its in the braking system somewhere IMO
my disc pads squeal/screach sometimes when im coming to a stop, push on em a little harder and it stops making the sound.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:53 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

what are squealers ? they're about 1 year old, discbrakeswap kit.

texasman: you're joking ? have someone else drive my car?
nah. someone else wil have to pedal and listen

Quick Reply: some weird noise/screaching