Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Back at it!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 01:48 PM
zp18zp18

Default Back at it!

I ordered and took delivery of a 65 GT in May, 65 and still own the car.
I did a lot of work on the car, paint, bumpers, front/back glass, carpets, headliner, padded dash, brakes front disc/back drums and on and on. Then I got busy at work and the car sat covered in my garage.

Now, I need to go back at it and will need to get parts. I want to get quality parts and would like some help from the forum members as to which of the forum advertisers stock quality 65-era parts. Many of the parts vendors that I bought parts from before are now out of business so I am looking for new sources.

With the car setting as long as it has, the brake material has expanded and the brake fluid has evaporated so now I will need to replace front pads, back shoes, rear wheel cylinders, front piston orings and seals, and maybe even the master cylinder. This car had manual disc brakes on the front with drum brakes on the back and used a unique master cylinder which is in the $110 replacement range.

Anyhow, I'll start with brakes and need a reliable quality parts source.

Thanks, GWB T
Old 05-27-2009, 02:00 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

mustangsunlimited.com is what i always use..
Old 05-27-2009, 02:09 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Very nice find. An original GT front disc car. What m/c are you talking about? I know of a very unique piece, but I've only seen it in a couple pictures, never on a car someone on one of the forums owns.

I like Glazier's Mustang barn for most restoration parts. I even use them at work (I work at Napa) when I need something oddball. Customer service is excellent, inventory is great, and they also run a shop specializing in restoration, so they have the people working on the cars (often Fred Glazier himself) on hand to answer questions. I particularly like their online catalog, which I find is unrivaled.

NPD is another decent source. I use them when I need something fairly quickly. Prices are ok, and I haven't had any problems with them.

I also use Mustangs Plus (out of Stockton) occasionally. I'm from there and my mom still lives there, so it can be convenient at times. I don't like to use them for restoration parts as their prices aren't fantastic, but they have some nice restomod stuff, and their suspension parts are solid. Their customer service is shoddy at times, though. Don't expect their regular counter/phone sales people to know their *** from their elbow. Ron Bramlet Jr (the owner) does know what he's doing and can answer questions when he's around, but I'm not thrilled with the counter staff.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:15 PM
stangtjk
2nd Gear Member

I wouldn't consider that a nice find, If I read that correctly it was never lost and he's owned it since it was new. Pretty rare for someone to keep a car for that long.

I ordered most of my stuff from NPD when I first got my car. I was satisfied with the service but all the chrome stuff I got wasn't worth a damn. I pretty sure its the same with every vendor as it all seems to come from Scott Drake.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:38 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Oh, wow, I misread that. That's even better. Single-owner front disc GT car.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:41 PM
pass1over
1st Gear Member

another supporter of NPD. Ive bought all my restomod stuff over the past 13 years almost exclusively from them. Awesome customer service and fast shipping.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:46 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

I think it depends on location and price. I use Mustangs Unlimited because they are about 3 hours from my house, I can get parts the next day, and they have decent prices on their parts.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:45 PM
zp18zp18

Thanks for all the quick responses. Yes, I ordered the car in May of 65 from Baccus Ford in Lockney, Texas. When it came in, they locked it up in a closed garage and by the time I got there the next week to pick it up, it was a big mystery to the whole town. Once I backed it out of the garage, I cruised around town (pop 500 or so) and people lined up on the streets to point and wave. George Patton probably never had it so good.
Out of 150,000 miles, I have put 149,950+ of them myself. I always loved driving this car, the deep duals sound more mellow than smittys but stronger than non-GT stock.
If I modified my signature correctly, the photo should be attached to this posting. I put the picture in a photo gallery for anyone that might be interested.
Paid around $2,500 new and had a big time 12 month warranty. Ford was just then bragging about their 'extending' the standard warranty to a FULL 12 months. I wanted the hi performance but my insurance would have doubled and the standard warranty on the hi-po was only 6 months, so I got the A code engine, 4 speed, 4 barrel, duals, front disc, wood grain, pony interior, rally pac, quick steering and the handling package.
This car does not owe me one red cent, I have received so much enjoyment out of it that if it vaporized tomorrow I would be in its debt.

George Barrowcliff
Old 05-27-2009, 09:10 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

Nice car George. My first Mustang was also an Ivy Green '65 GT coupe (though it had been re-painted white).

At any rate, where are you in SoCal? Until last year I was in the South Bay (L.A.). If I needed a part local, I'd go to Mustang Country in Paramount. For large orders, I'd get them from National Parts Depot in Ventura by mail order but would occasionally drive up there for the big stuff. Anyway, NPD often carries multiple grades of parts (i.e. good repro and best repro). Given the option, always go for the best repro. What you will find out is that most of the places sell similar items so it may come down to availability, price and convenience.

As you mentioned, many of the providers of repop parts are out of business. When I first started buying parts in the late 80's, Pro Products made just about everything. Nowadays, Scott Drake is a pretty big player with mostly high quality parts.

Good luck!
Old 05-27-2009, 10:03 PM
zp18zp18

Thanks for the nice comment and your fastback looks pretty nice also. I had a friend that lived across the street in Texas that had a fastback with 3 deuces and he tried to trade me out of my 4 bbl. He was willing to swap carbs, linkage and manifold straight across because every time his wife backed out of the driveway she left black streaks and she drove like she was piloting a rocket sled. I didn't trade and she didn't kill herself either so it all worked out.

I will look to NPD for my parts since they seem to have the best all around reputation.

GWB

Quick Reply: Back at it!