Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

HELP ME :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 02:32 PM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

Ok here it is

I didn't take apart the banjo fitting and fuel filter and vaccum gauge because i realize those are the nipple fittings and thats how gas doesn't leak from them (they werent the ones leaking)

although where the vaccum gauge connects it was leaking there because I saw there was some teflon tape that got ruined when i removed the vaccum gauge

now for the holley FPR the thing worked perfectly but i bought these fittings to try to connect it and they leaked. do you think teflon tape on the fittings will help? because the sealant i tried did not

I was using the rubber hose to connect from the metal fuel line to the FPR then the FPR to the vaccum gauge

Before it was carb > banjo fitting > fuel filter > Vaccum gauge > rubber line> metal fuel line > fuel pump
Old 05-30-2009, 04:06 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I think MAYBE you might be using the wrong thread sealer. But I might be FOS, because I was wrong about the fittings...

I am of the opinion that the regulator should be threaded for pipe threads and that looks like the fittings you have.

The regulator looks to be a good "Holley style" reg and should be good.

When dealing with fuel lines, you will advised NOT to use Teflon tape. I use it, and it is fine so long as a person is sure not to get it over the end of the fitting so that it wont "break off" in the stream and lodge in a needle valve etc..

You might try some sealer with Teflon or some Teflon tape instead of the stuff you are trying. Pipe threads need to be pretty tight... (but not super tight), do this with sealer and they should not leak.

Over a little time that reg will probably need to be reset after a time as the spring softens a little the pressure will probably rise... but that is later.

What kind of thread sealer have you been using?
Old 05-30-2009, 04:07 PM
jcthorne
1st Gear Member

I think your problem is that you tried to use gasket sealer rather than teflon pipe thread tape or teflon pipe sealant.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:14 PM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jcthorne
I think your problem is that you tried to use gasket sealer rather than teflon pipe thread tape or teflon pipe sealant.

thanks for the help guys

i'm hoping this is the problem i got some teflon tape i just put on there and am going to try it now and see what happens
Old 05-30-2009, 04:58 PM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

ok i got the fuel line all connected and no leaks thus far

i got the car running and the same miss problem which my spark plug that i took out before now looks like this (used to be white) now its black with carbon crud all over it and some oil

btw it was very easy to get out so maybe i didn't tighten it enough and then place the wire back on correctly??

(pictures don't do much good)

also im going to take the top off the carb and make sure no **** got in there from the whole ordeal since i'm sure it did

which would also cause a stumble problem right?

i can't even go over 40 it just stumbles and i assume misses although its constant not random

Last edited by nba1341; 05-30-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:06 PM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

Old 05-30-2009, 06:31 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

No... don't take the top off the carb,,, that is not going to be your problem, but messing with the carb is likely to CAUSE a problem!

Clean the plug up, drive the car for a while to see if it clears up.

When you were running 9+ lbs of fuel pressure the car was flooding...

Give the car a little drive time to "clean up"...
Old 05-30-2009, 06:39 PM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

nba this has nothing to do with your post but

the headlight switch fixed my pulsing problems. sorry just didnt feel like PMing you
Old 05-30-2009, 09:32 PM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by knuckless
nba this has nothing to do with your post but

the headlight switch fixed my pulsing problems. sorry just didnt feel like PMing you
sweet! i'll have to order one of those

Originally Posted by JMD
No... don't take the top off the carb,,, that is not going to be your problem, but messing with the carb is likely to CAUSE a problem!

Clean the plug up, drive the car for a while to see if it clears up.

When you were running 9+ lbs of fuel pressure the car was flooding...

Give the car a little drive time to "clean up"...

alright but the car is missing i can't really drive it.... i'm going to install the spark plugs back and see how it is maybe the wires werent on tight enough but this is just 2 spark plugs i removed total.

other than that i'm not sure were else to go from there
Old 05-30-2009, 09:56 PM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

new discovery! the spark plug i pulled out is cracked. I cracked it when putting it back in the other day but i barley put any pressure on it... the plugs are 2 years old.

would that explain my miss?