Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

At a crossroads

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 11:15 AM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Default At a crossroads

I can't decide whether to go with a T-10 or Toploader, or to go with the T-5 I have. I don't plan to ever spend much time on the highway, so the OD is a plus but not that much of one.

If I go with the T-5, I'll need the adapter to the stock bell and a crossmember and potentially have the driveshaft shortened. This in addition to a flywheel and clutch. I'm thinking about $700.

If I go with a 4-speed (not a super powerful motor 300-330 HP or so, so a T-10 would do fine), all I need is the clutch and flywheel, plus a new speedo cable.

I'm planning to use the z-bar set up, just because I like it. I realize with the T-5 I should probably go with the cable clutch, which adds another $300 or so.

Thoughts, ideas, corrections to my thinking above, whatever?????

Any help appreciated.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:29 AM
Deviousfred
3rd Gear Member

I'd be interested to hear about the T-10 as well as I have the opportunity to pick one up cheap locally.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

You could always keep the stock linkage with the T5, since you're keeping the original bellhousing.

It's your call, really. You're the only one that can decide if you need the OD gear. You can still drive on the freeway without OD, you'll just be pulling lots of RPM's
Old 06-03-2009, 01:03 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

If you're worried about breaking stuff or want to stay more original, then a Toploader. Since it was a factory option it's easier to get stuff for it, trans mounts etc.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:08 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

If you do decide to go with the t5 go with the hydraulic setup instead of the cable, I strongly recommend it from my experience with the swap. James has a write-up on his site.

But I have the t5 in my car and I like it other than a few adjustments I need to make but that's mostly thanks to the PO and what he did to the tranny tunnel. Having that extra gear does make a nice difference.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:10 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Starfury,

If OD is the only benefit, it's much cheaper to go with the T-10, right? Since I'm not too concerned about OD. Are there any other differences I need to be aware of when considering this?
Old 06-03-2009, 03:41 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

FWIW, I love the toploader that I had David Kee build. It is rock solid and holds the torque I throw at it without mercy. Unless you are hung up on OD, I would suggest a David Kee toploader. He even fixed it up for me (he is in San Antonio) when my clutch blew apart this spring. It may not be the cheapest route, but it is a nice tranny and he is a nice guy to deal with.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:18 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

I can't decide whether to go with a T-10
These had smaller synchros than the Ford design, which tend to pop out of gear when you back off the throttle, unless you get the upgrade synchros.

or Toploader,
Old school but nearly indestructable.

or to go with the T-5 I have. I don't plan to ever spend much time on the highway, so the OD is a plus but not that much of one.
Not the strongest of the three, but has O/D for cruising, and a very low first and second for stoplight acceleration.

If I go with the T-5, I'll need the adapter to the stock bell and a crossmember and potentially have the driveshaft shortened. This in addition to a flywheel and clutch. I'm thinking about $700.
I have been involved in quite a few conversions from C4 to T5, and manual to T5, I have yet to see one require shortening. They are a little tight, but still go together, and of course there is more clearance with the car on the ground. The clutch and flywheel are the same for all three transmission choices.

If I go with a 4-speed (not a super powerful motor 300-330 HP or so, so a T-10 would do fine), all I need is the clutch and flywheel, plus a new speedo cable.
If you go with the T5, it uses the same cable as the 3-speed or automatic. The Ford and Warner trans have the cable opening on the RH side, requiring the longer 4-speed cable.

I'm planning to use the z-bar set up, just because I like it. I realize with the T-5 I should probably go with the cable clutch, which adds another $300 or so.
The stock clutch linkage works perfectly with the T5, and of course it is stock with the T10 or Ford design.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:22 PM
voipguy

I had a T-10 and didn't like that the exhaust was really loud (flowmasters) in Fourth gear.
I switched to a T-5 with cable clutch and the noise level is much better.
I'm using the T5 bellhousing. Got it from Craigslist.
Also had to have the driveshaft shortened 1".
Old 06-03-2009, 06:24 PM
voipguy

Forgot to add.....I got the clutch, clutch cable and yoke from CJ Pony Parts. I ordered on a Friday when they had 10% off.
I think they are running that special again! It might save you some $$.
Good luck!

Quick Reply: At a crossroads