Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

cooling fans

Old 06-04-2009, 10:47 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Electric fan housings themselves function as a shroud, and the general rule of thumb is as long as it covers 70% of the core or more you're fine. The only time you ever really need the fan is when you're driving under 20mph anyway, and the engine isn't making that much heat.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:33 AM
88vertstangdan

set of Spal dual 11'' fans is ideal for the car 2780 cfm perfect
Old 08-14-2009, 12:23 PM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Most often fans are inefficient due to the lack of a proper fan shroud or poor design. Theres nothing wrong with a good ole clutch fan and coupled with a nice fitting shroud, this will solve most over heating issues. Remember theres two different types of clutch fans (HD and standard) and it can and will effect how much air is pulled due to the different amount of slippage. Pusher fans are not nearly efficient as pullers and you can expect about a 30 to 40% decrease in air thru the radiator. As far as the electric fans being better, there is several arguements for that also. You have to generate energy to drive the motor and it has to change forms twice before the blade turns thus loosing efficiency. I have dual electrics on one car that I can monitor the ECT and if one or both fans is on. I was surprised to note that one fan would often come on while cruising at 55mph. There are no overheating issues with the car even on a hot day. Another consideration is the type radiator. Aluminum seems to transfer heat much better than the original OEM type requiring less rows. Something new and maybe even a little better is the new one row design. They are ribbed as to create turbulance in the flow so that more coolent will contact the wall of the tube transfering heat. I think we will see more of these on the aftermarket side in the near future.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:29 PM
OCHOHILL
2nd Gear Member

Some other things to consider (btw, I live in Phoenix)

Is the block bored to .060 over? I had a 65 mustang with a 289 bored over .060. My mistake, never ran cool after that. Sold that car.

I recently bought a 66. I bought in in boxes. I installed a late model HO and I am doing the research for the cooling system now. From what I can tell, aluminum is the way to go. If you can get a crossflow-even better. All that will improve it but won't mean squat without drawing enough air over it. If your current fan isn't shrouded properly-you have squat. I believe a lot of people switch to electric for this reason. When they go to an electric fan they are usually shrouded better increasing the efficiency and the total amount of air drawn through the radiator. Be careful to note the CFM of the fan. They are not all created equally. Plus, update your charging system for the electric fan upgrade.

If your intent is to run the AC stopped at a light in 115 degree weather, then you may want to consider evaluating your entire system and not just the fan or shrouding.

I haven't seen a whole lot of hubbub on the high performance water pumps. So my opinion there would be without merit.

Think about this for a minute:

About the only new vehicles that come with manual fans are trucks. Trucks require a lot of cooling demand when towing at speed, not necessarily at idle. (huge radidators BTW) Their mechanical fans pull like crazy at speed, diddle at idle.

Cars come with electric fans. Genereally, their greatest cooling demands are at idle. Electric fans can pull their best at any engine speed.

Your complaint is temp creep at idle.

Can you keep us Arizonans posted on what you do to fix it?

Thanks,

Ocho
Old 08-14-2009, 08:36 PM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

Gotta have a shroud. Mechanical and a shroud will work better than electric. (like already mentioned)The electric just can't pull as much. Sometimes they "work" better because they mount right to the radiator, and the mechanical had no shroud. The mechanical was moving more air, just not through the radiator. And your AC will work better because of improved air across the condenser.