Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

speedo shakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 08:44 AM
rst08tierney
3rd Gear Member

Default speedo shakes

My speedometer needle seems to shake a bit at all speeds. Is this normal. It is mechanical
Old 06-04-2009, 09:20 AM
Adam
4th Gear Member

That happened to me one time when I removed the gauge cluster and did not properly re-seat the speedometer cable.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:51 AM
hotrod351
2nd Gear Member

either its not clipped on the back right or the cable might be going bad. you might want to remove the cable and lube it.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:48 AM
rst08tierney
3rd Gear Member

hmmm. The cable is less then 3 years old. I just installed NEW automeeter gauges. Im positive I installed the cable correctly. The same thing happened on my old stock speedo but I was hoping the new unit would fix the problem.

I want to say this has always happened with my car. I bought the new cable 3 years ago hoping theissue would go away. Could it be something with the tranny? I dont want to waste money and time buying another new cable if its not the problem.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:56 AM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rst08tierney
hmmm. The cable is less then 3 years old. I just installed NEW automeeter gauges. Im positive I installed the cable correctly. The same thing happened on my old stock speedo but I was hoping the new unit would fix the problem.

I want to say this has always happened with my car. I bought the new cable 3 years ago hoping theissue would go away. Could it be something with the tranny? I dont want to waste money and time buying another new cable if its not the problem.
Number one cause of bouncy speedos is a lack of cable lube or the wrond lube. The cable sticks and releases over and over as it's a spring. Don't use regular grease or you'll be doing it a lot. Get a tube of die-electric grease from the parts house. Pull the inner cable out of the housing and coat it real good and problem solved.

This is even more likely in cars with wide sweeping speedos like the 65s. It wasn't as much of a problem with round speedos but still most likely.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:14 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

You should also lube the input shaft of the speedo with gun oil. It's non-gumming.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:56 AM
rst08tierney
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by KMatch
Number one cause of bouncy speedos is a lack of cable lube or the wrond lube. The cable sticks and releases over and over as it's a spring. Don't use regular grease or you'll be doing it a lot. Get a tube of die-electric grease from the parts house. Pull the inner cable out of the housing and coat it real good and problem solved.

I have always used tranny fluid on other builds for the cable and never ran into problems. Are you sure about die-electric grease even though its mechanical speedo?

(Its quite possible the tranny fluid has been my problem with the car all along)
Old 06-04-2009, 12:05 PM
AlexZi
2nd Gear Member

This happened to me after reinstalling my gauge cluster. About 5 months or so later the speedo stopped working all together. I think my driven gear in the tranny broke off. It happened over a month ago and I still haven't diagnosed the problem...I'm a little lazy
Old 06-04-2009, 01:01 PM
boeing747arowair
3rd Gear Member

+1 on the lube. !!! make sure everything is good with ur gear. and lube the hell out of it
Old 06-04-2009, 03:12 PM
rst08tierney
3rd Gear Member

Thanks guys, I'll suck it up start fresh again and lube it up good. I will let you know if it fixes my problem.

Quick Reply: speedo shakes