Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Frame Rails

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 07:46 PM
sic65stang

Default Frame Rails

hello all, ive never been in this forum and am hoping someone here can help me. i am in the process of rebuilding a 65 coupe and have big plans for it. one of the more recent decisions i have made was to look into the option of putting a full frame under the car, i have many reasons why i think the car would benefit from this and i have a few reasons why i dont really want to do this. either way i was wondering if anyone on here knew anyone who has full framed a car? and if so where did the frame come from, or does anyone know a company that makes the frames to spec including possibly tubing the rear. if i could order mandrel bent frame rails from a company who has done this before i could handle the rest, just finding the rails is difficult. thanks all.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:58 PM
palerider
4th Gear Member

Not sure why you think it's necessary to do full frame and have not seen a lot on this. Athough just like anything else just a matter of time and money. Subframe connectors will give you a much stiffer ride any handle anything you throw at - short of 4 wheeling. I just put in tinman subframe connectors last weekend - very nice upgrade and easy to do if you can weld. Do a google search on tinmans.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:02 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Unless you are building a track racer, it's a really bad idea. Subframe connectors, front torque boxes, export brace, and Monte Carlo bar will make a huge difference, without the hundreds of hours of work a full frame will involve. If you want to go the extra mile, add the inner rockers, and upper and lower seat pans of the convertible. That'll be stiffer than a full frame for a lot less work.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:18 PM
stangtjk
2nd Gear Member

Why is it such a bad idea? And I think a couple hundred hours of extra work is a bit much.

Here is a few links to companies making full frames for the classics.
http://www.gmachinechassis.com/
http://artmorrison.com/layout.php?y=...lecar/&x=index

I designed and built my own custom frame so I could use the suspension and drive train from a mark viii.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:06 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Look, I've seen the benefit of adding the torque box and inner rockers to a coupe. IMHO, anything beyond that is marginal cost/benefit. He asked for opinions- I gave him mine. You gave him yours. My way leaves him the option of using stock configuration parts, yours doesn't. We don't know what he wants to do, he was a bit vague about that. Now he has choices and info. What's not to like about that?
Old 06-20-2009, 10:26 PM
stangtjk
2nd Gear Member

I wasn't trying to argue I was just interested in why you thought it was a "really bad idea". I know what I did does not give the option of stock parts because I built it specifically for what I am using. If you're interested in a full frame you probably aren't planning to use stock parts, but if you are then you're route is definitely the best option. I agree that you can get the chassis plenty stiff enough without going crazy with a full frame if that is all you're after. As for cost/benefit that depends on how you build it. I built the frame and floor for less than the cost of a set of subframe connectors ($200 worth of steel), but if you buy just the bare frame from the first link i posted it will cost $2500 and you would still need to buy the suspension. Fully loaded they run around $12k.

Last edited by stangtjk; 06-20-2009 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:27 PM
sic65stang

Well i know i was a little vauge so let me explain more why i was thinking of going this far. 1st i am in the process of building a stroked 460 (545). As everyone knows this entails removing the shock towers and adding a crossmember, as far as trammy goes im looking into a tko600 and of course a 9in rear. suspension wise for the front im going to need a mustang II, (more mods to original body) and in the rear i want to place a 4 link. Also i planned on minitubbing the car to handle a larger tire, so i figured if i could have custom frame rails bent i could figure a larger tub in. mainly the modifications i need to make to the body for these parts are available, however i feel that for the extra time and money i would have a stiffer car this way and it would almost save me alot of time as far as minitubing, building a tunnel, etc.
another main reason i was looking into this is because i am flirting with the idea of putting a ronster kit one this car, for anyone not knowing, this is a roadster.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:46 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

For changes this drastic you probably should consider a frame. A friend of mine once built a Mercedes Pro Street, with a 460. Fully framed, since the Benz chassis would have folded under the power of the big Ford engine.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:52 PM
sic65stang

thats what i thought but im thinking it would almost be easier to do it all at once.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:51 PM
stangtjk
2nd Gear Member

Here is a link to a company that makes custom bent frame rails. They are reasonably priced and can bend to what ever spec you give them. They also have there own rails for various vehicles.
http://autoweldchassis.com/spec.ivnu

Quick Reply: Frame Rails