Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

LED Tail/Brake/Signal Lights for a 1968

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 07:30 AM
unit91
3rd Gear Member

Default LED Tail/Brake/Signal Lights for a 1968

Are LEDs safer and much brighter than the original bulbs?

What about the sequential types? (Liked them when I had my 69 Cougar!)

Other than LEDs, are there any other type bulbs that can be used to give brighter lights?
Old 07-29-2009, 09:50 AM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

yes to all 3?
Old 07-29-2009, 09:57 AM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

If you just pull apart your tail light housings and paint the inside white and then replace the old bulb with a new bulb it usually will be way brighter than it was before.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:58 AM
jc92073
1st Gear Member

I put the LED's in my '67 and I would say they are 2x as bright.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:06 AM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

LED's are absolutely brighter than the stock originals. LED-Sequentials are a preference, not needed for brightness (LED-non-sequentials are just as bright). I would say there are other upgrades you can install other than LED's, but either way, your going to have to change out the originals if you want them to be brighter.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:56 PM
unit91
3rd Gear Member

I noticed that some of the LED kits for sale are "NOT DOT APPROVED". What's that mean to me? They illegal, have electrical problems, what???
Old 07-29-2009, 08:32 PM
unit91
3rd Gear Member

or what????????????
Old 07-29-2009, 08:45 PM
68MustangCoupe
2nd Gear Member

Technically Non-Dot Approved stuff can get you ticked I believe. BUT... and I say but to this. That is only if the Offending *I say Offending because being pulled over usually pisses people off and there for are offended at being pulled over* Officer KNOWS exactly what he is or is not looking at. So basically it's a "Only if you get caught" Scenario.

I say, If it looks Legal, Acts Legal and no way to tell the difference. Why worry
Old 07-29-2009, 09:43 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

If you want brighter bulbs you can get GE Nighthawk 1157 from Amazon. I have them and they are noticably brighter than the regular bulbs. The have what GE calls a robust filiment, but no increase in wattage etc so it doesn't burn hotter or cause damage to the tail light assembly.

I always wanted sequential lights. I would like 3 bulbs. Scott Drake makes them. Does anyone have that setup? There is just something about the LEDs that look cheap to me. I think its the way they flash. I don't think it looks right on a classic at any rate.

Alot of stuff isn't DOT approved. I think most of the time its nothing to worry about. I think its a judgement call.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 07-29-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:08 PM
MetalEd
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by unit91
I noticed that some of the LED kits for sale are "NOT DOT APPROVED". What's that mean to me? They illegal, have electrical problems, what???
DOT = Department of Transportation.
Most after-market lights (LEDs that plug into your stock light sockets) that you get at the local autoparts store are not DOT approved and marked for off road use only (car show in our case), so they aren't legal or legal in all states for use on the road. In most cases, as long as the lights aren't blue, green, etc or the modulate (Flashers lights) or as long as the bulb is not to bright, then you can get away with using them. If they are too bright or flash, a cop will notice and give you a ticket.
I am not sure how bright the tail-lights are allowed to be, but I bet most after-market ones aren't "legal". they may have the wattage limits posted on the DOT website, I'm not sure.
I've been running a 55/100w headlight on my motorcycle for almost 10 years. It is Illegal and I know it and the cops know it, but I risk it for safety. (100w highbeam is daylight modulated). I wouldn't dare do it in a car or run it at night (might kill someone with a beam of light.) Brighter brakelights, I would use.. as long as someone coming from total darkness is not blinded when they enter the road and see my brakelights! Having them too bright, pointed right in someones face may be much more of a danger than the benefit to your safety! Check with the DOT's site and then check you local regulations to make sure they can be used and not straight out illegal.
Sorry I went on, but there is a lot to consider.
Take care,

Quick Reply: LED Tail/Brake/Signal Lights for a 1968