Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

69 side scoops ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 02:10 PM
peetacheeta

Default 69 side scoops ?

Hi there, i have been looking all over to find out if all the 69 mach 1's came with functional side scoops
I have read some places that they are bolted onto brackets in the wheel wells and other sites that say they were all non-functional
my car (69 s code mach 1) has no cut out/vent and is not bolted/bracketed

any answers/info is appreciated

and if i want them funtional, what kind of meshing goes in the back?

thanks
Old 08-11-2009, 02:37 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

As far as I know they all have a honeycomb inset piece that goes inside to make it non functional. The scoop itself is bolted onto brackets in the wheel wells as you said. If you want to make it functional you're going to have to put more than just mesh there. If you just have mesh there then air will just be blowing around in between the quarter panels and and fiberglass interior panels, which does nothing and will slow you down if anything.

What I would do if I wanted mine functional is put the messing there, but also construct some ducting that goes off the back of the scoop and into a hole in the wheel well or something to direct air to the brakes.

But yes as far as I know they were all non functional scoops. My mach 1, my dad's CJ, and other cars I've seen all had the honeycomb blackouts.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:58 PM
peetacheeta

ahh i see, thanks for the info.. anyone know where to find these "honeycomb blackouts"??
i dont care to make them functional if they never were
Old 08-11-2009, 03:01 PM
Nabster
3rd Gear Member

Shelby made them functional, that may be where you're getting conflicting information.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:00 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by peetacheeta
ahh i see, thanks for the info.. anyone know where to find these "honeycomb blackouts"??
i dont care to make them functional if they never were
Try places that have used parts, like Glazier Nolan.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:27 PM
Cruzzar
1st Gear Member

Default No Vent At All?

Originally Posted by peetacheeta
Hi there, i have been looking all over to find out if all the 69 mach 1's came with functional side scoops
I have read some places that they are bolted onto brackets in the wheel wells and other sites that say they were all non-functional
my car (69 s code mach 1) has no cut out/vent and is not bolted/bracketed

any answers/info is appreciated

and if i want them funtional, what kind of meshing goes in the back?

thanks
Are you are saying that your '69 has no vent at all? This may be possible---the '69 Boss cars did not have the side vent above and front of the rear wheel, but I think all 'S' codes did. Have you checked you vin to verify that yours is an 'S' code (that is if it does not have the vernt at all).
Old 08-11-2009, 09:13 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cruzzar
Are you are saying that your '69 has no vent at all? This may be possible---the '69 Boss cars did not have the side vent above and front of the rear wheel, but I think all 'S' codes did. Have you checked you vin to verify that yours is an 'S' code (that is if it does not have the vent at all).
All 69 fastback (sportsroof) models had the side scoops, regardless of engine, even 6 cylinder cars, with, as you point out, the exception of the BOSS302.

This is the 1969 Mustang E, (for economy) with 250ci six, C4 automatic with special torque converter and a 2.33:1 rear axle ratio.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:16 AM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Wow, that "E" line was a straight up put put mobile.. But sexy at the same time!
Old 08-12-2009, 11:12 AM
Carlos Pineiro
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
All 69 fastback (sportsroof) models had the side scoops, regardless of engine, even 6 cylinder cars, with, as you point out, the exception of the BOSS302.

This is the 1969 Mustang E, (for economy) with 250ci six, C4 automatic with special torque converter and a 2.33:1 rear axle ratio.

I've yet to meet anyone with an E car. Gas was 35.9 a gal in '69. An economy model with diminished power made no sense then.

Brake vents and hood scoops were all cosmetic (except side scoops on some Shelby's cars). The little vents next to the headlights in the 64½ were actually functional. The right one was there to cool the generator (the left one was a dummy just there to match the right).

CP
Old 08-12-2009, 11:40 AM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

Carlos what are you talking about? The 69 did have functional hood scoops, what about the shaker? I have no idea what you are talking about with the 64 1/2 having a vent next to the headlight to cool the generator. There ain't no such animal!

Quick Reply: 69 side scoops ?