Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Neutral Safety Switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 10:27 AM
jrrhd73must
3rd Gear Member

Default Neutral Safety Switch

Anyone know how to check whether one is bad? This is on a 67 Cougar with a C4

I bought it, and the guy has a push button rigged up to start the car. The key will not start it. So I am starting troubleshoooting, i was thinking that maybe the switch went bad and that is why the guy jerry rigged it. I also have a new ignition switch that I am installing anyway.

Thanks
Old 08-18-2009, 10:53 AM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Not sure, but I would think with the trans in park or neutral, you should have very low resistance across the terminals. If the resistance is high, there's your problem.

But, I have never checked one out, so there may be a reason that doesn't work.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:07 AM
pass1over
1st Gear Member

see if it starts in park or neutral? if it doesnt, replace it.

get rid of that push button start crap to0, totally out of place on a 1967 vehicle
Old 09-09-2009, 10:47 PM
jrrhd73must
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pass1over
see if it starts in park or neutral? if it doesnt, replace it.

get rid of that push button start crap to0, totally out of place on a 1967 vehicle
Since this is a new to me car, I want to make sure it is really bad and just start swaping parts when it may be a wire problem.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:26 PM
dfrome66

Default Check continuity

I just checked mine on my 66 mustang. Looks to be the same switch for your Cougar. There should be 2 connectors from the switch up to the firewall. Mine were red and black. One is for the reverse lights and one for the neutral start. If you put a volt meter across both pins of each and move your shifter to neutral / park (or reverse if you are on the other connector). You should get continuity (zero or little resistance) when the switch is made. If you aren't the switch may need to be adjusted. You will need to loosen the bolts on the side of the transmission for the neutral switch and use a #43 drill bit to align the small hole in the side of the switch (make sure the transmission shifter is in Neutral). If you still don't get good continuity then your switch may be bad. Mine was jsut out of alignment and now will start in Park and Neutral.

Good Luck!
Old 09-10-2009, 01:04 AM
hiboostwoody
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dfrome66
I just checked mine on my 66 mustang. Looks to be the same switch for your Cougar. There should be 2 connectors from the switch up to the firewall. Mine were red and black. One is for the reverse lights and one for the neutral start. If you put a volt meter across both pins of each and move your shifter to neutral / park (or reverse if you are on the other connector). You should get continuity (zero or little resistance) when the switch is made. If you aren't the switch may need to be adjusted. You will need to loosen the bolts on the side of the transmission for the neutral switch and use a #43 drill bit to align the small hole in the side of the switch (make sure the transmission shifter is in Neutral). If you still don't get good continuity then your switch may be bad. Mine was jsut out of alignment and now will start in Park and Neutral.

Good Luck!
For a quick check, you can also just unplug the connectors and connect a jumper wire across the red and black one (on the ignition switch side of the connector) to make the connection and then try to start it. If it starts with the key, then you know your problem is somewhere between that connector and the neautral switch.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:29 AM
jrrhd73must
3rd Gear Member

Awesome that was exactly what I was looking for....