Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Headliner....

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 03:00 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Default Headliner....

I currently have the headliner hung and tied in the rear with the 2 short retainer bows. I drilled 4 small holes up front in the roof support and used safety wire from these back to the forward bow which made quick work of pulling/stretching the headliner out front to back. Used 1 1/4" binder clips from Staples to secure the headliner at rear window, windshield and along the doors where the windlace goes later. Nothing is glued just yet. Everything right now is beautiful and no wrinkles anywhere.

Now the rear B-Pillars... Any tips at getting this area to work out? I'm having problems getting that top arch around the quarter windows smooth and the bend around the top of the rear window / pillar. The typical areas I'm guessing where everyone runs into this.

Also.. how much of a difference would a small steamer make? Like I said, everything so far is tight and smooth as it is now.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:15 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

I'm not sure how it pulls tight in that spot for your model, but opposed to the steamer you can use a heat gun, thats what I used and it worked great. Just don't over heat it, other wise it will stretch out too much and not shrink back...
Old 08-29-2009, 03:30 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Just work your way out from the center, and down each C pillar. (The B pillar is the one with the door latch on it).

Steamers will smooth out slight wrinkles, but it's always best to install smooth in the first place. They have the advantage over heat guns in that the steam cannot overheat the material, while the heat gun is risky.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:46 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

I was planning to use a steamer (rent) or heat gun (have 3 of them) once I get the front and rear glued in place and the windlace on the sides tomorrow. Leaving it to sit clamped over night to help with the stretch and give any final adjustments in the morning.

Should I pull down and hook the headliner to the C-pillar metal prongs then work the rear and quarter window edges?
Old 08-29-2009, 04:05 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

the heat gun will help alot with the small stuff