Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

better hood latch for a '66?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 01:29 AM
mattmoya

Default better hood latch for a '66?

i have a problem,
the hood on my mustand can be opened from the outside without a "hood release" from inside the car like most vehicles.
my problem is that some of my wonderful friends like to open my hood & unplug my battery, dist, things like that.
i was wondering if theres any kind of hood release kit to put under the dash or maybe a kind of lock so that people cant just walk up and open the hood.
im just waiting for the day to walk out to find that im missing a battery.

-matt
Old 09-01-2009, 02:37 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

You can get this. Its simple and will do what you want. It only allows the hood to be opened slightly to unlock it. You just mount the lock part to the radiator support on the driver side between the latch and the horn. Then you can mount the chain to the side of the hood catch. You'll probably want to remove a couple links, but test fit first.

These were popular in the 70s and 80s.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Car-C...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by tx65coupe; 09-01-2009 at 02:53 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:20 AM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

here's a similar and cheaper one I've been looking at getting...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_3749wt_1130
Old 09-01-2009, 04:56 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Thats actually the one that I recently bought. I couldn't find it before. It will keep people from screwing with things under the hood. I thought about getting the locking style hood pins but don't think that they will look good on my car and don't want to put holes in my hood.

If you want to keep people from tampering with your gas tank get this. Its inexpensive and you can keep your stock gas cap.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...?T1=C90J30H+01

Last edited by tx65coupe; 09-01-2009 at 04:58 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:54 PM
mattmoya

a friend told me about the chain thing, but i was hoping there was something less ghetto

i really would prefer an interior release, does anyone sell something like that?
Old 09-01-2009, 03:28 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mattmoya
a friend told me about the chain thing, but i was hoping there was something less ghetto

i really would prefer an interior release, does anyone sell something like that?
There used to be several such kits, from JC Whitney, etc. But they were easily overcome with a little prying, and cars have had cable release from the factory for decades.

Look at it this way: You have a ghetto problem, so a ghetto solution is appropriate. Funny, I once lived in a ghetto for a year, and never had a problem like you describe.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:04 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mattmoya

yes they sell those, I used to have one bookmarked but the link died. Try google searching for hood locks, and I also think mustang monthly or some site did a article on installing one of those locks.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:14 PM
Tony R
4th Gear Member

with a little ingenuity you could make a newer style hood latch fit your car that is cable operated. I like the looks of the hood pins that lock.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:32 AM
mattmoya

i read an article of putting a mailbox style lock on the latch but that was for a 69 or something.

im thinking of three things: either get a hood release cable, put a pin on the end of it, drill a hole thru the center post latch thing on the hood so that when the pin is thru it it cant open.
or
attatch the cable to the part that holds the post thing
or
retrofit a newer latch with hood release cable already built in.

what do you guys think?
Old 09-03-2009, 08:20 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

locking hood pins

Quick Reply: better hood latch for a '66?