Changing oil in differential - MustangForums.com



Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-03-2009, 10:18 PM   #1
birdnstang
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NV
Posts: 18
Default Changing oil in differential

Our Mustang is presently at the shop. We want to change the oil in the rear end. We know on Chevies and Pontiacs that there is a cover plates on the differentials. These we know are easy to drain the oil out. We were told by the shop that the Fords are different. We haven't actually seen the rear end. They are talking about pulling the axles and the pumpkin has to be taken the apart. Does this sound right to you?
birdnstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:01 PM   #2
2+2GT
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 5,228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdnstang View Post
Our Mustang is presently at the shop. We want to change the oil in the rear end. We know on Chevies and Pontiacs that there is a cover plates on the differentials. These we know are easy to drain the oil out. We were told by the shop that the Fords are different. We haven't actually seen the rear end. They are talking about pulling the axles and the pumpkin has to be taken the apart. Does this sound right to you?
No, it sounds stupid. Stick a siphon or draw pump tube in there and suck out the old oil. Anyone, even Jiffy Lube, can do this. They are WAY over-doing it.
2+2GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:55 PM   #3
hiboostwoody
3rd Gear Member
 
hiboostwoody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Washington
Posts: 723
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2+2GT View Post
No, it sounds stupid. Stick a siphon or draw pump tube in there and suck out the old oil. Anyone, even Jiffy Lube, can do this. They are WAY over-doing it.
I wouldn't exactly say they are WAY over-doing it. What they are saying is what I would consider the PROPER way to do it but I HAVE done the siphon thing also. It's not as easy as it sounds with heavy gear oil, though.
hiboostwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:03 AM   #4
latamud
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiboostwoody View Post
I wouldn't exactly say they are WAY over-doing it. What they are saying is what I would consider the PROPER way to do it but I HAVE done the siphon thing also. It's not as easy as it sounds with heavy gear oil, though.
We drive the car before siphoning the gear oil out. Driving heats up and thins it temporarily. With the car not running though I suppose a heat gun could help too.
latamud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:41 AM   #5
snorulz
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: WI
Posts: 277
Default

The advantage to pulling the pumpkin is you can then add a drain plug to the bottom. If you pull the pumpkin the axles have to be removed first.
snorulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:52 AM   #6
2+2GT
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 5,228
Default

The disadvantage to removing the diff is you have to replace the seals and gaskets. I don't see the big attraction for having a drain. Ten years from now, if you even still own the car, you might be thinking about changing it again. Lessee, stick tube in diff, draw out oil, pump in new oil, 15 minutes, tops. Or you can pull the axles and diff, clean out all the oil to prevent fire, drill drain hole, weld on drain bung, replace wheel seals, coupla hours. So now having the drain makes changing the diff oil a minute quicker, since you don't have to insert the drain hose. If you change the oil every year (ridiculous, I know) in only 50 or 60 years you might break even on the work it took to install the drain.
2+2GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 01:03 AM   #7
Rainierarms
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: WA
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2+2GT View Post
The disadvantage to removing the diff is you have to replace the seals and gaskets. I don't see the big attraction for having a drain. Ten years from now, if you even still own the car, you might be thinking about changing it again. Lessee, stick tube in diff, draw out oil, pump in new oil, 15 minutes, tops. Or you can pull the axles and diff, clean out all the oil to prevent fire, drill drain hole, weld on drain bung, replace wheel seals, coupla hours. So now having the drain makes changing the diff oil a minute quicker, since you don't have to insert the drain hose. If you change the oil every year (ridiculous, I know) in only 50 or 60 years you might break even on the work it took to install the drain.

That's what I've always done and it works well.
Rainierarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:07 PM   #8
birdnstang
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NV
Posts: 18
Default

Thanks! We're going to pump it out.
birdnstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:59 PM   #9
67mustang302
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: California
Posts: 10,465
Default

I put a drain plug in mine. And I change my fluid at least 2x a year. A lot of it depends on how hard you drive and how hot the climate is. I beat my car a lot in a hot climate, so the oil gets flogged.
67mustang302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:40 PM   #10
racer_dave
2nd Gear Member
 
racer_dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 486
Default

Depends on how hard you drive it. If you're on it hard then adding the drain is worth the time and effort because you should be chaecking the rear more often. If you're not driving it hard then I'd say no.
racer_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spark Plug Change 2007StangV6 2005-2014 Mustangs 30 01-28-2016 06:09 PM
01 Mustang Overheating :( MusicCity615 General Tech 7 09-12-2015 07:05 AM
Comcast "customer service" JimC Off Topic 22 09-11-2015 08:00 PM
Pinion angle, poly bushings, 1 piece DS mtgldr S197 Handling Section 1 09-10-2015 09:43 PM
JLT III CAI cleaning, do I re-oil? kevsgt GT S197 General Discussion 1 09-09-2015 06:20 AM


Tags
2007, 67, 9, change, differential, end, gear, lube, mustang, oil, pump, rear, siphon, suck, vintage

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:39 AM.