Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

help 68 fb

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 01:23 PM
fb_kutcha

Default help 68 fb

hi i am 19 and about a month or so ago i bought a 68 fastback rolling shell from a guy for about 500 dollars it was in his barn and there is vertually no rust on it what i am asking is if i could get some help with parts and stuff i have a couple of mechanic friends who said they would help me out with it but i dont know what to buy. money isnt really a problem i have about 12k saved up right now for building this car and i am deployed right now so i will have around 24k to spend when i get back to the states. I would just like it if anyone could give me a general list of parts that i should put in the car i dont want to put crappy parts into the car i feel like i would be disgracing a excellent car. Any help is very much appriciated thx
Old 09-09-2009, 02:18 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Much depends on what's missing. It would be unusual if it were completely bare. 12k can run out real fast on a job like this. Check your PM's.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:21 PM
fb_kutcha

it is basically bare and i cant work on it now i am in iraq by the time i get back to the states i should have around 24k to be able to spend on it
Old 09-09-2009, 02:27 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by fb_kutcha
it is basically bare and i cant work on it now i am in iraq by the time i get back to the states i should have around 24k to be able to spend on it
Well, you said rolling, so it must have an axle and spindles. 6 cylinder? V8? Brakes installed? Check out my p.m., and you can get started on my list right away.

Never been to Iraq. My ACDU was a long time ago. Be careful out there.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:32 PM
fb_kutcha

it has a axel body and tires but i know i want to put a v8 in it but like i said i dont really know much about car part i have a couple of mechanic friends who said they will help me along the way so i just want to get a general price list of the parts i need like i know i need a engine, brakes, new tires, interior **** like seat but ill take a look at your pm though thanks and i will be safe.

Last edited by fb_kutcha; 09-09-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:34 AM
hiboostwoody
3rd Gear Member

I just wanted to say thank you for your service to our country. If you lived closer to Northeast Washington I would be honored to help you work on your car. You need to get a some catalogs to places like National Parts Depot, Mustangs Unlimited, Etc. and you will get a good idea on what the prices of things are and where you will have to spend the most money. My advice is to completely go through the ENTIRE brake system front to back first. If it were mine, I would even replace all the lines with stainless steel (in fact, that is what I AM doing to my '67 Fastback). All the other parts in the world won't do you any good if you can't stop it once it starts moving. After that I would address the entire suspension system. Front and rear. It's pretty likely all your bushing and other rubber parts are going to be junk from sitting. After that, you will kind of have an idea on where to go next.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:26 AM
fb_kutcha

ok thanks for the help