Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

First ride!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 11:08 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Thumbs up First ride!

After 9 months or modifying every single thing on the car I finally got my first drive in it tonight! The first was a very short drive where I forgot to turn on the electric fuel pump . I now know just how far the car will go with no gas lol! Returned to the garage, made a few adjustments then out for about a 9 mile drive stopping at the local A&W for dinner at 9PM.. I was starved. No real issues except for my shift linkage seems to be off a bit as 1st & 3rd slide in great but 2nd is a real bitch.. 4th isn't as bad but needs adjusting as well. Both 2nd/4th required me to really hold down before they would slide in. They didn't slip out once in.

One other thing I'm not sure about but need to get fixed. Driving down the road regardless of speed (under 40) when I take my foot off the gas the car kind of stutters for the lack of a better word right now (way too tired). Feels like its going to stall but doesn't. If I press in on the gas or clutch it stops. Car still needs to be timed properly and is running a bit rich but don't know if thats the problem or not. Something for tomorrow to pay more attention to.

Lots to do and get done in the next day or so.. exhaust sleeves tightened, slight front suspension adjustment, an alignment, A/C initial charge, etc. Thats just to make it safe to drive and doesn't include the hundreds of other things that need to get finished such as a center console, alarm, trunk, bits of wiring, etc etc etc.

I've been working 9am to midnight or later lately and Saturday night it was 5am before I left the garage. I was really trying to have it ready for a car show Sunday but the damn clutch held me up. I'm really excited about a successful 1st drive but unfortunately with the hours put in the last few day my excitement didn't show during or after the drive due to being dead tired.

No vid or pics of the first drive but I'll take some pics over the next day or so with the car outside in the sun. Here are a few from yesterday though still in the garage. Lighting sucks. Certainly needs a washing!

Loading pics and I'm heading off to die until I wake up.. No damn alarm tomorrow morning!

Headlights and trim rings are installed now.. since my first drive was after dark.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:35 PM
EZFEED
2nd Gear Member

Very nice! Great work too!
Got a question...does your vinyl top go down your front pillars too?
Old 09-22-2009, 01:15 AM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Very nice! Congratulations. That color is really sharp. What was the reaction at the A&W? Any car guys there?
Old 09-22-2009, 05:56 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

That is great! I'm glad the maiden voyage was a success. It looks sweet. I like how it turned out. I can't wait to see how it looks all together.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:05 AM
JamesW

Any first trip of 9 miles and no tow is an amazing success!

congrats
Old 09-22-2009, 01:01 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JamesW
Any first trip of 9 miles and no tow is an amazing success!

congrats
No lie.. My first drive ended on the side of the road with smokeing rear brakes (forgot to release the p-brake) and it wouldnt shift out of first (needed some more tranny fluid) But it worked after that, straight to the exhaust shop.

Congrats man! It looks great!
Old 09-22-2009, 01:34 PM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

Very nice. Glad it's running and driving. Appropriate that you took it to A&W (at least if it's a drive-in one).
Old 09-22-2009, 02:47 PM
chris66dad
2nd Gear Member

Good job!
Shaking out the bugs can be fun too. You get to drive it to find them!

Good Luck and BE Safe
Ron
Old 09-22-2009, 04:17 PM
Flash70
2nd Gear Member

Very sweet looking ride. Nicely done.

What color is that?
Old 09-22-2009, 04:19 PM
jeffampt
1st Gear Member

I bet I looked at this Thread title 15 times before i realized it said "First Ride" not "Fist Ride"

I expected some naughty pics in this thread at first......nice car BTW!

Quick Reply: First ride!