Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

hello new here!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 04:32 PM
clean66

Default hello new here!

hey, new to the forum thought id introduce my self,
i have a 1967 mustang gt, 289 4 speed manual trans,

im having a problem with oil spraying out of the dip stick tube, not cuz its to full of oil, and i think i need to do a compression test to see if im getting blow by or have a bad valve,

but anyone thats had this problem be for any advice would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by clean66; 10-09-2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:35 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Hey clean, welcome to the forums!

First thing to check is the crankcase ventilation, or PCV. Make sure any breathers are unrestricted.

Otherwise, my guess is blow-by, not valves.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:41 PM
clean66

Originally Posted by TexasAxMan
Hey clean, welcome to the forums!

First thing to check is the crankcase ventilation, or PCV. Make sure any breathers are unrestricted.

Otherwise, my guess is blow-by, not valves.
thanks, when i got the car the pcv had the hose comming off of it and it had a bolt in it, idiots previous owners, so i bought a new pcv and hose and new valve cover gaskets, plugged the line into my new carb, and all the leaks stopped except the dipstick tube, im hopping its something stupid not blow by

anyone kno the range in compression it should be when i do the test?
Old 10-09-2009, 09:57 PM
Piraya33
2nd Gear Member

I don't know the answer to your question, but I can welcome you to the forum. Looks like a nice car from the pic. You using it as a driver? There's a lot of knowledgeable people on here so I'm sure you will get an answer pretty quick. Welcome aboard!
Old 10-09-2009, 10:14 PM
Joe1967
2nd Gear Member

I also do not know the compression range, but i would like to again welcome you to the forum, stick around a little while, some one here can surely help you resolve your issue
Old 10-10-2009, 04:24 AM
longlive289s
3rd Gear Member

im lookin at my book right here....

gt was.....'67....289 c.i. @ 271 h.p. w/10.5:1 compression and a four barrel carburator.

assuming you havnt done anything else to the car
Old 10-10-2009, 07:34 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

longlive: GT is either A code or K code. what you posted are K-code specs, which it probablky isn't, unless clean66 has a very rare car ...

I'd assume A-Code if it's original GT.
Anyway the PCV valve needs to be connected to manifold vacuum (directly at intake), or on a basplate that is sitting under the carb, or at a pickup at the carfb that has manifold vacuum. so from that it seams right. but blowing out the dipstick is not really a good sign.

when you do the compression test make sure to:
-remove all spark plugs
- disable ignition
- full throttle while cranking for the test

if one cylinder is low make a wet test (pour a teaspoon of oil into the bore via spark plug hole). a few squirts are enough. if compression rises it indicates bad piston rings (as the oil helps sealing them up)
don't ask for numbers where the engine should be.
good compression is all cylinders withing the same 10%, and full pressure at around 4th stroke
Old 10-10-2009, 07:50 AM
LCC
4th Gear Member

It sounds like blow by. Kalli is right on the money with the test and as for the numbers a good setup will be 190 +/-
Old 10-12-2009, 01:17 AM
clean66

Thanks everyone for the welcome, yes its a daily driver...well was,
and thanks for the advice im gunna run a compression test on it, i knew it was blow by, just wanted re-asurance.
well maybe at this point ill do some engine work, its all numbers matching clone gt.