Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Engine overhaul?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 03:17 PM
NuclearMuscle523
SCAM ALERT! This person is known around the internet for ripping people off. You've been warned.

Default Engine overhaul?

Going to be overhauling the engine soon, it's a '74 351W. Don't really need to get too deal, like pistons and stuff, but I do want a kit that includes all of the basics like rings and bearings and p-lugs and whatnot. I am assuming I should hold out on the lifters and springs, since I want to get a different cam just for better sounds, and I should get the springs and stuff included in the cam kit right?
So where do I find all of this stuff? Should I keep my stock heads? Where is a good place to get a sweet good sounding cam? I was told to put a '70 water pump and radiator in this car, is that good?
Old 01-29-2010, 04:08 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

well the first thing you should ask yourself is what do you want the car to do? street driver, street with occasional strip time? autocross, etc etc. the 351w is a great motor for a starting point, but without knowing what you want to do with the car we cant really point you in the right direction.

no as far as the pistons, you might need them anyways, is there a ring ridge on the cylinder walls? you can tell by running your fingers down the top of the cylinder, and down it, if there is you will feel a ridge at the top. if you do have one then you will need to get it bored per what the machine shop thinks. also you might need to get it bored if there are scraches and whatnot on the cylinder walls. if i were you, i would take the block down to a machine shop and see what they say because you dont wanna cut corners to save a few dollars and then have to go do it AGAIN later down the road when you blow the motor. its not a fun time, trust me...
Old 01-29-2010, 04:17 PM
NuclearMuscle523
SCAM ALERT! This person is known around the internet for ripping people off. You've been warned.

Not much of a lip, but i do have a reamer, and I was going to hone out any minor stuff, but get a hot dip first. And this engine is going to be super duper stock expect for a nice sounding cam.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:21 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

if your going to get it dipped to get cleaned im assuming i would have them replace the freeze plugs, cam bearing if needed, in fact, i would just have them replace the cam bearings for good assurance. and since it would be at the machine shop i would just see what they think you should do as far as honing or if it needs a bore.
i wouldnt really wanna go ahead and telll you what cam to get just for sounds but most cams that will be real lopey will be fairly annoying to drive on the street. and you do want to get the springs/lifters with the cam since the springs will be matched to the cam.
you should be able to get the kit that you are looking for at summit racing. ill look in a few mins for ya
Old 01-29-2010, 04:27 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

heres a ring/bearing/gasket set from summit http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FE...-000/?rtype=10

heres all the kits they sell for stock borehttp://www.summitracing.com/search/Department/Engines-Components/Section/Engine-Kits-Rotating-Assemblies/Part-Type/Engine-Rebuild-Kits/Make/FORD/Piston-and-Ring-Oversize-in/Stock/Engine-Size/5-8L-351/?Ns=Rank%7cAsc

i just remembered, i would also have the machine shop go over the rods and crank and see if anything needs to be turned down because if so, you would need different size bearings than stock..
Old 01-29-2010, 04:50 PM
NuclearMuscle523

I thought summit would be a good place, sounds good.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:51 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

you can also use jegs if you would rater, but for some reason i really like summit
Old 01-29-2010, 05:57 PM
jcoby
2nd Gear Member

IMO, you need to get a set of inside mics and make sure the bore is within spec and with 0.001" to spare. The ridge reamer will help you get the new pistons in or the old pistons out, but if you're already out of spec or if the cylinders are tapered, putting in new rings and honing the cylinders isn't a great idea. you'll be asking for problems.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:14 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

if i was you i would just get it all bored
Old 02-01-2010, 09:06 AM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

Looking at the ridge as a wear indication is a BAD plan. Once you get the engine apart, mic the cylinders and crankshaft and inspect parts to determine what the engine needs. It is quite possible that the cylinders and crankshaft are in good enough shape such that you can simply replace rings and bearings and be fine. Without measurement and inspection, however, it is nothing more than a gamble.

Most any auto machine shop will mic everything for free and let you know the condition of everything.

Diagnose before applying treatment!

Quick Reply: Engine overhaul?