Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Clevor update. Got called to machine shop!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 10:01 AM
suicide67
1st Gear Member

Default Clevor update. Got called to machine shop!!!!!!

Just wrote this long thing and it completely erased, said i wasn't logged in. GRRRRRRR I'm so pissed........
Anywho, Got the call from the machine shop to come down and talk about the Clevor. They took it apart and inspected all parts. The motor ain't exactly what it was supposed to be, and I think my buddy got shafted. The bearings have a wear pattern he didn't like. One side of the block was black, he thought maybe the head wasn't seated right. The pistons (keith black hypereutectic) are only rated to 400hp, and discontinued in 1996. The compression in at the most 10:1, but he didn't check the heads so it could be lower. It does have good eagle rods, 1010 crank, main girdle. The heads are 2v and have only a 3 angle valve job, not 5 like I thought.
Now, I don't know what to do. Shop said if I want any type of boost I need to change the pistons. I had planned on adding a blower and a good EFI system. Even thought of stroking it, but they told me the walls on these blocks will pulse in and out. I want this car to get up and GO. I'm wondering if I should just put it back together and drive it, or at least change the pistons so I can do the blower, or is that a waste of money? I'm a little lost. I had planned a Dart 428 from fordstrokers, until my buddy gave me this motor. Until the shop called I was picturing a clevor with the blower running and the alum box upper intake.

Need some others suggestions. Thanks

Side note, the shop has a 428 out of a numbers matching GT500 all done, the owner died, and they have been holding this motor for two years for the courts to settle the will.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:09 AM
ozarks06
2nd Gear Member

Please don't buy the 428 from the GT500 (unless you want to sell it to the guy who buys rest of the GT500). It would be a shame to separate them and the value of the GT500 would plummet. No suggestions on your engine issues.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:20 AM
suicide67
1st Gear Member

ha ha, ozark don't worry. The motor is not for sale. It looks so sick sitting there, The car and motor are going to the son.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:11 PM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

You've got mail!
Old 03-22-2010, 08:09 PM
suicide67
1st Gear Member

MB, you've got a reply
Old 03-22-2010, 08:39 PM
suicide67
1st Gear Member

bump..............
Old 03-23-2010, 06:13 AM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

Since no one is replying with your requested suggestions, I think it all comes down to what you want in an engine and what you're prepared to pay for it.

Option A: Strong, normally aspirated engine. The engine you have has all the main necessary ingredients to provide this, the correct compression ratio, good flowing heads and needs small amount of work to fulfill the Option A goals for very little cash outlay. Depending upon how you cam it, 350 to 400 Horsepower should be easy. This makes for a STRONG street engine.

Option B Supercharged - When you move away from normal aspiration, your intake system needs change. With boost, you are FORCING the fuel air charge into the cylinder rather than simply relying on the vacuum of the enlarging cylinder to DRAW in the charge. This means that high flowing heads are not as necessary. A little extra boost will more than compensate for max flow heads. So if you are willing to supercharge, there are other options other than a Clevor that would allow you to build an engine more suitable for the purpose.

Back in the sixties one of the popular phrases was: "Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?"
Old 03-23-2010, 08:40 AM
68stangbbf

IMO forged pistons a must for any boosted application. Hypers are very sensitive to the tune up in the car if it is off a little they will fail. Factory blocks (small blocks) past 500 hp are a crap shoot IMO.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:48 AM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

68 stang offers two more good reasons to use a different motor than what you already have in the event that you choose Option B.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:18 PM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

How much of an overbore does it have that the walls on these blocks will pulse in and out? Plenty of 351 blocks have been stroked, so I'm not sure I buy that story.

Quick Reply: Clevor update. Got called to machine shop!!!!!!