Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

66 Interior colors?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 02:48 AM
overdrive

Default 66 Interior colors?

Hi. I'm restoring a 66 convertible and I'm changing the original exterior color [blue] to Candyapple Red. The interior was standard and parchment. I will be replacing it with the standard interior but I heard that I can get seat covers that have red and parchment 2 tone that would look nicer than just parchment. Is this true and if so, who carries them and does the red go well with Candyapple Red? Was it available in 66 and if so what is the interior code for it? Thanks guys.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:13 AM
68COOP
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 66 Interior colors?

Think you are looking for Emberglo and Parchment. NPD has them in their upholstery section.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:23 AM
1965MustangFastback
2nd Gear Member

Blue to Red? Go figure, I guess you'll be like almost every other Stang out there! Why? I ask that you want to change the color to RED
Old 07-31-2005, 01:59 PM
overdrive

The car belongs to my mother-in-law and that's her choice. I'd use the original blue if I owned it. I have a red/wht car and a red/wht F150 and I like red also, but I don't think red dominates car colors as much as some people think. I've counted them on ebay before and it's not that lopsided. I just checked the 66s on ebay again and less than 25% are red.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:09 PM
68COOP
2nd Gear Member

Did you check their site, and is that what you were looking for???
Old 07-31-2005, 08:22 PM
Dan66
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 68COOP

Think you are looking for Emberglo and Parchment.
Embergolw in a red car? Yik! Emberglow is copper, and I can almost guarantee you it was never installed in a red car. Red and parchment 2-tone was never offerd by the factory either. You could get either one separately though, and they'd both look nice with a red exterior. Plus, custom upholstery can be ordered from many of the vendors.

As for your research - I think your data may be flawed! They call it "re-sell red" for a reason. There are so many red Mustangs out there. Far more now than were ever produced by the factory. Paint it red if you must, but it's about the least creative choice that can be made.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:18 PM
earlymustang
2nd Gear Member

Well, there will always be a mixed crowd on this subject. I for one have a factory Rangoon Red 65. I really like the color and will continue to think it's one of the best colors offered in 65 no matter how many re-paint their Mustangs red. My personal opinion...keep it the original color or buy one the color you want up front unless it was a terrible color originally like (bite lip). I personally have not seen too many red Mustangs in Indiana. Although I'm sure that's quite different in other areas. I would have considered a different color if there were a multitude around town, but that's not the case. There are a good number of Mustangs out there w/the color you want.

On the other hand...it's your car (referring to everyone here). You paid for it, do as you want. It's just nice to have a variety of a good thing. And Dan66, if I ever hear of you painting that beautiful T. Turquoise fb, we will have words.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:57 PM
overdrive

A restoration book that I got today shows that the Candyapple Red 66s had 3 possible Standard interior colors, black, parchment, or parchment and burgundy.

The counts I've made of ebay red 66s is not flawed. Try it yourself. It's simple math. I don't claim to have any official Nationwide scientific statistics. I've done 2 ebay counts and only because several people have told me in the past that they rarely see a classic whatever car in any color but red. Hogwash.
Like I said earlier, the car is not mine and I'm not choosing the color, but the owner is because it's her money. She's the only one that has to like it when I'm finished. She's not trying to be creative, she just happens to like red better than blue. The reason they call it resell red is because red cars resell well because they're popular with so many people, but she has no intentions of ever selling the car. It's a very good color, if only for that reason. The 2 red/wht vehicles out of my 9 total came from the factory that way and I won't be changing them.
Thanks for the comments.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:44 AM
68COOP
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan66

ORIGINAL: 68COOP

Think you are looking for Emberglo and Parchment.
Embergolw in a red car? Yik! Emberglow is copper, and I can almost guarantee you it was never installed in a red car. Red and parchment 2-tone was never offerd by the factory either. You could get either one separately though, and they'd both look nice with a red exterior. Plus, custom upholstery can be ordered from many of the vendors.

As for your research - I think your data may be flawed! They call it "re-sell red" for a reason. There are so many red Mustangs out there. Far more now than were ever produced by the factory. Paint it red if you must, but it's about the least creative choice that can be made.
Well, the ONLY way my research is flawed, is if I couldn't read. I don't have a problem with reading. National Parts Depot list those colors, together in a combo. I don't know what the true interior colors are on a 65, since I drive, build, and own a 68. Besides that, I wouldn't own a Red ANYTHING. So, I am NOT wrong, I'm only passing info in print, that ANYONE can verify. If you don't need , or trust the info, don't ask. And another thing I've noticed here, NO BODY says Thank You for anything.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:26 PM
jrrhd73must
3rd Gear Member

I had a 66 original pony mustang.

The pony interior was emberglow and parchment. The exterior was emberglow, with a parchment vinyl roof.

The color was like a bugandy orange mix. I liked it. If I were painting the car red, I would not use that. I would go with the original parchement. My current car has a black interior and it really absorbs the heat. Even though I don't like white, that would be better.

Quick Reply: 66 Interior colors?