Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

66 Interior colors?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 12:33 PM
earlymustang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 66 Interior colors?

"Well, the ONLY way my research is flawed, is if I couldn't read. I don't have a problem with reading. National Parts Depot list those colors, together in a combo. I don't know what the true interior colors are on a 65, since I drive, build, and own a 68. Besides that, I wouldn't own a Red ANYTHING. So, I am NOT wrong, I'm only passing info in print, that ANYONE can verify. If you don't need , or trust the info, don't ask. And another thing I've noticed here, NO BODY says Thank You for anything."

Sounds like your backside is a little RED.

Thank You
Old 08-01-2005, 01:06 PM
68COOP
2nd Gear Member

Not so much that, it's more like I show respect to get respect. I posted EXACTLY the colors that NPD lists with Parchment, and it was either Emberglo or Blue. I have no idea what colors came with what interiors, just trying to help a guys in need. And no, I do not like the color red, never have, never will.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:17 PM
Dan66
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 68COOP

Well, the ONLY way my research is flawed, is if I couldn't read. I don't have a problem with reading. National Parts Depot list those colors, together in a combo. I don't know what the true interior colors are on a 65... I am NOT wrong, I'm only passing info in print, that ANYONE can verify.
Holy cow, fella! Chill out for a minute!

When I said that "research was flawed" I meant the original poster that hadn't noted too many red Mustangs. I wasn't talking about emberglow colored upholstery. I've been in the Mustang scene for about 25 years and I guess I've just seen too many red Mustangs. But if that's someone's preference, then have at it. Not many cars look better in red than a Mustang.

As for emberglow and parchment upholstery - let me put your mind at ease... Emberglow (copper) and parchment was available as a 2-tone deluxe interior in 1966 (but not 1965). Parchment was also available as a stand-alone color for that same year (both as deluxe and standard interior). There was no parchment/blue 2-tone, nor was there a stand-alone emberglow. You could have parchment with blue appointments however. That would mean the dashpad and carpet would have been blue but everything else parchment. So, your NPD catalog says you could get a blue/parchment 2-tone deluxe interior? Don'ty think so, Sparky.

You may not have trouble reading; but you apparently aren't so good at understanding what others write (whetether it be in a catalog or on a forum). Oh, and "thank you" very much. [:@]
Old 08-01-2005, 02:48 PM
68COOP
2nd Gear Member

First off, my name is not Sparky, OK, it's either William, Will, or Bill please. Second, you are right about the colors, I went back and double-checked my info, and it is a 66 Deluxe in Emberglo and Parchment, NO BLUE. I was wrong, and I totally admit it, just use a little less sarcasm next time, and I got no problem with being corrected. TMI Products are the suppliers for NPD, maybe you could check if they sell to the public, and if you could get a "special order" if needed. YOU'RE WELCOME!
Old 08-01-2005, 09:38 PM
overdrive

Thank you, William for checking for me. If you check my earlier posts, you'll see I have said thanks in 2 of them. No, I didn't check the NPD site yet because I've been studying this book that I got Sun.
I'm new to this forum and so far, this boat is in rough waters! I hope the water smooths out real soon. The forum I've used quite a bit in the past, thankfully, has had very few problems with people being sarcastic or disrespectful.
Dan66, thanks for touching on "appointments". I wasn't sure exactly what that meant in the Mustang world. My m-i-law said she wants the interior to be parchment w/burgandy appointments and my book doesn't specify exactly where the burgandy is used. Shouldn't the lower interior dash to windshield trim and the speaker grille be burgandy iridescent? I understand the carpet and dash pad will be burgandy.
Did the factory offer 66 'verts in Candyapple exterior, Parchment interior and White top or would it have been a Parchment top?
Is there a website with charts that will give me info like this? I also need to get the PPG paint # for Parchment and for Burgandy Iridescent.

Thanks to all for your help.
Dan.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:19 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: overdrive

Hi. I'm restoring a 66 convertible and I'm changing the original exterior color [blue] to Candyapple Red. The interior was standard and parchment. I will be replacing it with the standard interior but I heard that I can get seat covers that have red and parchment 2 tone that would look nicer than just parchment. Is this true and if so, who carries them and does the red go well with Candyapple Red? Was it available in 66 and if so what is the interior code for it? Thanks guys.
I think you will find (if you all ready haven't) that what you are looking at is red/white. Which will really depend on the color of the Candy red you do. It could clash pretty badly.
Not to mention that red gets hot as hell in the sun.
My vote would be to either keep the parchment (comes in two tone Parchment and cream) or to go with a two tone light tan and cream.

With a deep candy red, the tan and creme would be stunning. I would also paint the interior door skins and dash cream, and put either a pony wheel or a cream colored steering wheel. That way when you're inside the car you can touch any surface without fear of being burned. A set of tan door inserts and dash pad would really set it off nicely.

I've learned that light colors in a convertible in the summer is definitely the way to go. Whenever I see someone driving a convertible with black interior I always think to myself..." I'll never be that big a man". even if it's a woman driving it.
Next to black, red is the color that soaks up the most UV and therefore gets very hot.
Just something to think about.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:05 AM
earlymustang
2nd Gear Member

File was too large so I had to do a copy and paste. This is a book I own "How to Restore Your Mustang" by Larry Dobbs and Donald Farr.

1965/66 MUSTANG INTERIOR TRIM SCHEMES

GROUP I:

Standard interior: instrument panel, steering column, steering wheel, kick panels,
windshield post,sunvisors,metaldoorsurfaces,quartertrim panels,2+2overhead moulding, console, Rally Pac.

Deluxe interior: instrument panel, steering column, kick panels, door panels, con.
sole, Rally Pacl.

FACTORY TRIM CODE/
INTERIOR PAINT COLOR/ *R/M#

BrightRed 5755R

White 5767

Light Aqua Irid 5742

MediumPalomino Irid 5759

Light Blue Irid 5748

Medium Blue Irid 5747

Red Irid 5773R

64.C2.C3.C4,C6,C7,C8,C9,02.03,04.05,06,07,08,09, F2.F3
F4.F5.F6,F7.F8
Parchment (#5767 White in 1965) 5779

Charcoal Black Irid 4464

1 -All Rally Pacs were wrinkle finish black prior to March 1965. At this time the larger low profile Rally Pac
was Introduced. The later unit can be either black or keyed to color of steering column.

*R&M are the manufacturer's paint codes used to complete these charts, however your paint supplier can
cross reference them to the manufacturer of your choice.

GROUP 2:

Standard interior: crash pad, radio speaker grille, lower windshield moulding, doorpanel, arm rest pad.

Deluxe interior: crash pad, radio speaker grille, lower windshield moulding, windshield
post, sun visors, metal door surfaces, quarter trim panels, 2 +2 side vent
panels,2+ 2overheadmouldings.

FACTORY TRIM CODE
INTERIOR PAINT COLOR *R/M#

22,32.62. C2. 02, F2. 42, 82
Medium Blue Irid 5747

48,68,88.C8.08,F8
Medium Ivy Gold Irid 5756

29,39, 49,59.69,79.C9. 09, F9
Medium Palomino Irid 5759

27.67, C7, 07. F7
Medium Aqua Irid 5751

64, C4. 04. F4.
Emberglo Irid Dupont 9260LM

25,35, 65, C3. 03, F3
Burgundy Irid 5775M

26,36,46,76,86,ca, 06, F6
Charcoal Black Irid 4464

45, 85. 05, F5
Bright Red 5755R

Seat belts and carpeting are color keyed to group 2 appointments.

.Radio and Defroster grille, lower windshield moulding and crash pad retainer are Dk. Emberglo. RM # 5776.

How To Restore
Your Mustang

Introduction
Forward.. ... ... ...7
SelectioQ and Planning 1-1
Disassembly 2-1
Cleaning and Refinishing 3-1
Body Repair and Panel Replacement 4-1
Reassembly 5-1
Codes, Data and Detailing 6-1

ISBN#0-9624908-4-9 (PreviouslyISBN#0-941596-01-X)

Editor: Larry Dobbs; Editor-in-Chief: Donald Farr; Photography: Donald Farr;
Director of Graphic Design and Production: Danny Raines; Photography Production:
Donald Farr; Dave Surrency; Cover Design: Howard Buck; Camera,
Typography and Composition: Del Sellers; Sam Bougher; Lizzie Crosby; John
Summerlin; Joy Ellis; Diane Godwin; Production Facilities: Polk Shopper
Shopping News; Technical Consultants: Eddie Caheely; Butch Hennecy; John
Henderson; Doug Suit; BillGowin; Jim Wicks; Lee Kitchens; Don Hickman; Fred
Wagner; Larry Evenson; Ed Beaumont; Rick Kopec; Shelby American Guide;
Carl Pendley; Jim Greenley; Brent Danneman; Col. Bill White; Bob Page; Ford
Motor Company; Jim Tobiasson; Fred Glazier; Jerry Ostalecki; Paul McLaughlin.

Published by

CALIFORNIA MUSTANG
SALES AND PARTS, INC.

Copyright @1989 by California Mustang Sales and
Parts, Inc., 19400 San Jose Ave., City of Industry, CA 91748
All rights reserved

Reproduction of any portion of this book in any form, for any reason is strictly
prohibited. All manuscripts, photography, illustrations, charts, and data are
likewise the sole legal property of California Mustang Sales and Parts, Inc. and
may not be reproduced in any manner, including photo copying.

Printed and bound in the United States of America.

Old 08-02-2005, 12:16 AM
68COOP
2nd Gear Member

I didn't join this site to make enimies, just want to make that clear. I will also admit to being wrong when the occasion come up. I realize now that Dan knows his interiors, better than I will ever want to, just thought he was a little rough with his replies. It's all good, and I am still learning things about these cars every day. That's what I like about these forums, you can learn from other people that have/are doing it. Not here to cause any grief, just give the best info that I can, and if I am NOT sure I will post that at the beginning. PEACE!
Old 08-02-2005, 12:22 AM
overdrive

Thanks, Early! That's what I needed.
Scott, your post makes good sense and I thank you for your help, too.

This is a great site!

Dan.