Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

rebuilt heads with RUST!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 05:25 PM
lalojamesliz
1st Gear Member

Default rebuilt heads with RUST!

the rebuilt longblock i bought came with rebuilt heads. the other one is the same condition are these bad to the point were i should have to take it to a machine shop or can i just remove the rust with some fine steel wool and marvel mystery oil and they will be ok? what special tool do i need to remove the springs? thanks guys

Old 04-07-2010, 05:32 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

disassemble everything. i had a set of head rebuilt that sat around for a few years, they had less rust on them than yours, and also had some sticky valves. depending on the pitting on the head gasket area you may need to have them machined.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:38 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Do your best to clean them up before making any decisions. I bet they'll come clean.

For future, coat everything with WD40 and wrap in plastic and you'll never have this happen again.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:40 PM
lalojamesliz
1st Gear Member

can you guys reccomend a valve spring compressor from SEARS? i have never removed valves/springs so what would you guys reccomend to remove the rust? i just have 0000 Grade steel wool with marvel mystery oil.....
Old 04-07-2010, 08:56 PM
jcoby
2nd Gear Member

3" scotchbrite pads in an angle grinder work wonders on rust without removing metal. from what i see in the pictures, it looks like those heads have sat outside for some time and will need to be decked to bring back into true.

as for removing the springs, i don't know if sears carries them. summit and jegs do for sure. they run around $50.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:22 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

A FINE wire brush chucked in a drill, drill press, or on an angle grinder will go a long way to cleaning those heads up.

Did the P/O store those heads in the ocean or what?

barring any serious pitting on the deck, valve seats, or rusted valve stems, they will probably be ok.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:40 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

You are wasting your time. Take the heads to the machine shop and let him disassemble them and tank the head.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:20 PM
lalojamesliz
1st Gear Member

the one one place i called told me $125 to take both heads apart,clean them and put them back together and if they have rust on the valve feet (i dont remember) they will have to do a valve job and thats extra of course so 67t5ponycoupe.... if you could learn to to take apart/clean/assemble a head and save $125+ wouldnt you also want to? plus i dont want to spend close to probally $200 on stock very heavy heads.... i would rather save up and buy some better flowing aluminum heads. they wont be the afr heads i want but atleast ill have my 351w running
Old 04-08-2010, 12:23 AM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

I would not put those heads on anything without sending them to the machine shop first. What if they are warped or cracked. The money you save on cleaning them up yourself you will spend on head gaskets and if there is a problem with the heads all that time and money is wasted.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:40 AM
lalojamesliz
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67t5ponycoupe
I would not put those heads on anything without sending them to the machine shop first. What if they are warped or cracked. The money you save on cleaning them up yourself you will spend on head gaskets and if there is a problem with the heads all that time and money is wasted.
good point, you win 67t5ponycoupe ill check some other machine shops to see what other prices i get.

Quick Reply: rebuilt heads with RUST!