Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

How about this 73 Mach 1?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 01:17 PM
WarrenW
2nd Gear Member

Question How about this 73 Mach 1?

Hi Everyone,

I have someone interested in trading their 73 Mach 1 Mustang for my 77 Corvette and wanted to know of what type of value can this Mach 1 be once I repaint and give it a little more TLC? Below are some pics of it. He said the following to me about it:
It has a very stout c-6 transmission with a b&m shift kit that was professional installed and also a 2500 stall converter. It shifts threw all gears flawlessly and will jerk your head. The edelbrock 650 carb might need a little tweaking because I put a comp cam in a few months ago and never played with the carb. Has 32 spline rear axles with 3.50 pos gears. I was using for a daily driver to construction sites, but the gas was eating my wallet up. The sun roof does not leak (I would of taken it out if I did body work) and like I said before it just needs body work and I just remembered the fuel line would need to be replaced in time. It does not leak gas or anything I just had to cut a section out and put a rubber hose for a quick fix. All the brake lines are fairly new so no problems at all with the brake system. A new gas tank was put on a few years ago and replaced the taillight panel a few years back. It is a real Mach1 and has the original 351 clevland, but with 71 quench 4 barrel heads on it (100 hp bolted on). The flowmaster exhaust was put on around the time I bought the car, about 8 yrs ago, and sounds awesome.

Thanks!

Warren
Old 04-09-2010, 02:10 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

This is really not a technical question so you should probably post it in the general discussion section. Check our NADA classic.

http://www.nadaguides.com/SectionHom...=22&p=0&f=5003
Old 04-10-2010, 01:32 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

The market here 6-8k is the most for a 73 even a mach1.Only one of that body style worth some cash is the 71 big block cars.Unless your corvette is rough i wouldn't trade him unless he throws in some cash.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:44 AM
71Mach14spd
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
The market here 6-8k is the most for a 73 even a mach1.Only one of that body style worth some cash is the 71 big block cars.Unless your corvette is rough i wouldn't trade him unless he throws in some cash.
Not true. If it was a 4 speed car then it would be worth a big amount. Even the autos can bring 30k+ if they are restored. Depending on what options this one has, and what the over all condition is that i cannot see i would say maybe worth up to 10k it all depends.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:10 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

That 73 looks like it could be really cool. I would probably trade for it, but it depends on the condition of the Vette.

When I first read about trading, I was hoping you werent going to trade your 65. No way I would do that.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:30 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

30k for a factory prefect resto which this car is not.It needs a paint job the spoiler is on backwards the sunroof lowers its value and no pictures of the interior.Most don't like the 73 the whale front bumper is why 71-72 had a smaller bumper.Here that car would bring maybe 5k to 6k.Nada guides is always high they list the lowest coupe inline 6 any year for 6k.How bad is your corvette?
Old 04-10-2010, 01:25 PM
WarrenW
2nd Gear Member

Thanks everyone. I made the mistake and traded my 65 Mustang for the 77 Corvette I have now. Even though the mustang was an inline six, it was nice and I miss it. I would trade my vette back for a coupe and I have someone who has a 66 coupe to trade for it with a 289 in it. But he said the engine has a lifter that taps until the car warms up and it goes away. How bad is that to fix? My vette is in pretty good condition but worth around $7K maybe if there is a buyer to pay it. Many vettes this year are going for $6K - $8K like mine. I don't want to go back to a six cylinder and I'm getting mixed reactions from people on this 73 Mach 1. I thought it was worth more. I just came from a car show with over 150 cars in it and not one Mach 1. Not sure if that is good or bad!

Here is my vette:

Old 04-10-2010, 02:12 PM
71Mach14spd
2nd Gear Member

The 71-73 cars are very rare and are getting even more rare. I have talked to many car appraisers and car enthusiasts who anticipate them going for 80-100k in about 10 years.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:38 PM
Fordication
2nd Gear Member

I would not trade that nice vette for that particular mustang. There are many better deals, especially if you sell your vette outright and pay cash for a good used Mach 1. I think you can get much more for that vette than 7-8 based on the photos. I am thinking of buying a Mach 1 or a convertable next. If I cannot afford the 69 fastback that is.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:40 PM
Fordication
2nd Gear Member

One other thing, 65-66 coupes are a dime a dozen and not worth that vette. Again, sell it and get the car you want. If I did not love my car I would ****** your vette up right now. Sorry, took 2 years to get her done and I plan on driving the hell out of her for awhile.

Quick Reply: How about this 73 Mach 1?