Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

CJ PONY PARTS Horror Story !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 06:22 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Since we are talking about Mustang shops that we refuse to buy parts from, I won't ever buy anything from Texas Mustang in Waco if I can help it. We bought alot of stuff from them back in the 90s for my 65 when I was in high school. They were fine then. More recently though we bought some late model parts and the screwed up and expensive order and would not do anything about it. Luckily I was able to get back most of that lost money by selling the stuff on craigslist.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:54 PM
kevinindenver@gmail.com

I am using CJ Pony Parts a lot at the minute, as I work my way around the car replacing trim, seals, gaskets & rubber. I'm ordering as I go, moving onto another area whilst I wait for the parts, and then when they arrive I go back and finish off. CJ Pony Parts may not always have the best price (I've used Mustangs Plus a lot in the past), but when I was going to be charged $200 for shipping from one supplier and nothing from CJ Pony Parts, I knew where I was going....and they've been great, no problems.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:23 AM
retro77
2nd Gear Member

I've bought lots of items from CJ Pony Parts. One thing I've learned in buying auto parts from anyone: plan far ahead. Don't let yourself get hung up on waiting for one item. Order it well in advance. Sorry you had a bad experience there, but don't discount them on bad order. They have free shipping all the time and those hard to find Mustang parts that we all need.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:54 AM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

Hey, long as we're bitching, I'll toss in my Mustangs Unlimited experience a couple of weeks ago. I've done over $2k in business with them over the last 2 years and even after finding a wrong color carpet that went unopened for over a year (I thought she checked, she thought I checked..) and found they even changed the part number on my online order to the wrong color, I gave them another chance with a $700 order. Due to my replacement credit card (they do renew sometimes, ya know) they wouldn't ship since my billing address is home (PO Box) and different from my business address. NPD had no problem and wanted my money. I wonder how well Mustangs Unlimited's Policy pays the bills. My shop uses Money to pay bills - policies are nice, but don't cash well.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:33 AM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

I'm about a half hour from MU. I've heard good things about them. I'm not surprised they won't ship to a PO box, some places won't ship to PO boxes period. And you always gotta check stuff like that, every once in a while there's sure to be a slip up in the warehouse. I'm sure if you had checked and told them then and there of their mistake, they would have amended it right away.

But so far, I've gotten a lot of my stuff from ebay, specifically Laurel Mountain Mustang. I'm glad they do business on ebay, makes things 10 times easier with paypal being my form of money management. Good deals from them. CJ Pony parts has been good as well, they'd probably get ALL my business if they would take paypal.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:03 AM
fast65
5th Gear Member

Despite the fact that this thread is extremely old, I throw in my two cents. I've never had any problems with CJ Pony Parts, they've always done right by me. That being said, it's impossible to have a perfect business, you'll always get one or two employees that are completely useless, or have a series of bad events that occur, it doesn't mean they're a horrible business, it just means that they've got a few bugs like everyone else. Now, if it's happening on a constant basis, then that's another story.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:45 AM
Gun Jam

wow look at that...looks like someone found a shockable rhythm and brought this thread back to life!
Old 12-13-2010, 12:50 PM
5'Oclocksomewhere
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by fast65
Despite the fact that this thread is extremely old, I throw in my two cents. I've never had any problems with CJ Pony Parts, they've always done right by me. That being said, it's impossible to have a perfect business, you'll always get one or two employees that are completely useless, or have a series of bad events that occur, it doesn't mean they're a horrible business, it just means that they've got a few bugs like everyone else. Now, if it's happening on a constant basis, then that's another story.
+1 million. Look hard enough and you can find "bad" about any business. Keep looking and find out that those who are complaining are impossible to please.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:58 AM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hightower2011
I'm not surprised they won't ship to a PO box, some places won't ship to PO boxes period.
I didn't ask to ship to a PO box. I asked to ship to my business address, which they've done several times for over $2k worth of parts (seeing as I'm in the auto repair business this is a daily thing when ordering parts). But update your credit cards that are billed to your house and they suddenly run scared like everybody on the planet is a crook. Sorry. There are 2 or 3 of us left that won't scam you out of your money. NPD used good business sense without insinuating I was a thief. The ONLY reason NPD wasn't my first choice was due to some weaknesses in their online order form which resulted in about 30 minutes on the phone to sort colors and such. Yep, I understand some of MU's reasoning, but as I told the guy on the phone after 20 minutes of sorting it out, "If you want to make it hard for me to give you my money, I'll spend it with folks willing to take it without the hassle.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:15 PM
5'Oclocksomewhere
1st Gear Member

This reminds me of the people who get mad when the cashier asks to see your ID when using a card.. its for your protection!

Furthermore, I can't blame them for not wanting to ship to an address other than one that is listed on the card. That's their policy and a darn good one at that.

Your credit card company has the ability to add other shipping addresses that you may want to use, to avoid situations such as this. If you are going to be shipping to an address other than the billing P.O. box, why not just add the extra address and everyone is happy?

Quick Reply: CJ PONY PARTS Horror Story !!!!